Oliver + S

What size to make? (the tween dilemna)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

We are “teaching” a sewing class. We say teaching very loosely since Liesl will really be doing the teaching :). Two of the girls have selected the Gallery Tunic / Dress to sew and are both measuring size 0, however their hips are only 31″ and 33″. Should we make adjustments and if so, what would be the best method to accomplish this? Also, we possibly will need to shorten one and lengthen the other.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Tunic and dress sizes are determined by the chest measurements(unless tightly fitted), so go with those and alter if necessary. Tiny sizes, my daughter was a 0 until age 25, I even used some kids patterns for her and she shopped in kids sections in some stores. I think the only adult patterns I used in that size range were for leggings, tees, and peasant blouses and for some of these I used kid patterns with added length. Nicole is the master of all things tiny and highly skilled in alterations, hopefully she will weigh in on this.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

OK, looking at that pattern I see she didn’t give body measurements, just finished garment measurements. Perhaps part of the sewing lesson will need to involve making a toile. (I have to admit to never doing this for kid sewing for casual clothes).

LINK

I believe body measurements are listed under another tab on the website. They both are measuring approximately 32″ bust. Size 0 is based on 35″ hips if you can’t find the measurements online.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I would do the size 0 based on their bust measurement. If you scroll down underneath the pictures of the pattern you will see the finished measurements given (under the fabric allowances). You will see that there is some 5.5 inches of extra measurement given for the bust alone. Basically it is a loose fitting dress so with this in mind, the hip measurement doesn’t really need tobe considered. The most important measurement required is the bust.

My daughter has small hip measurements also, so I can understand where you would be confused/ concerned.

I think the size 0 will be spot on for what you are doing. It will fit them for a while😀.

Adding length is pretty straight forward too. I am sure Liesl has included a lengthen shorten line in the pattern (I’m away from home so can’t check). This is a good guide for where to add/ take length if it is required.

Hopes this helps.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Tamara, you’re hired! Spot on. xo

LINK

Well that’s the best case scenario {sigh of relief}! Thanks @brenda1652 @justsewit @liesl

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’d love to hear how it works out! And see photos, of course.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.