Oliver + S

what should I look for in a new Iron?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Our iron is dying, my husband ironed his shirt and said we need a new iron! Have you got a really good or bad one? And what features do you love or hate?

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I have to admit, I’m really partial to Rowenta irons. I went with something cheaper a few years ago to replace our old Rowenta that was at least 15 years old. That was a BIG mistake. It’s steam output was sad and it leaked after a couple short years. I love the steam output my Rowenta has, it has a large number of steam holes and a wonderful constant of steam, which is great when you are making a ton of bias tape. My iron also has a nice “tip” at the end that helps to get into those little seams to iron them flat. It also came with a cleaning kit to help clean the plate off when it gets covered in baked on interfacing :). I know they can be costly but I would get another one in a heartbeat.

I’ve seen some other brands out there that I’ve seen highly advertised on blogs that might be good irons as well. This is what has worked for me. Best of luck to you!!

-Rebecca

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Look for one that heats up quickly. I turn mine on and off while I work. You don’t want to have to wait every time. I also like an auto turn off just in case I get distracted and forget.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Irons drive me crazy. I’ve now taken to buying the cheapest one possible at whatever discount department store is around. And really my husband has bought the last 2 irons. I’m happy if I get a year and a half out of an iron. Pathetic I know. We have an upstairs iron and a downstairs. Rob irons all of his work clothes and I keep one for the sewing room. There’s always a back up if one gives up the ghost!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I think the biggest thing to look for is the wattage. The higher the number, the hotter it will get! Like Rebecca said, the number of steam holes is also a good indicator.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Lots of steam, an auto off button and a big water tank!

I love my irons and tend to buy European models, they seem to last longer.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I literally went through an iron a year and barely iron. Then I returned to sewing and the iron was P!**ing me off. Leaking, rust stains, caked on crud, etc.

I went to the store and a lady suggested a Rowenta. It was pricey. She told me she had had hers for 30 years and it was still like new. I bought one.

It can steam the H E double hockey stick out of anything. I have burned the tips of my fingers more than once because the steam is so hot.

It has this slight extended tip to get into the hard places and it looks new. It is about 4 years old and works like a charm. No leaks, no rust. The only time it got dirty was when I ironed the wrong side of interfacing. OOOPS.

But I bought a cleaner and voila! Like new.

So I would go with an investment like the Rowenta. While it cost me $65 US, in my normal course of action, I would have already replaced 3 irons at 20-30 a pop. So I am now ahead of the game.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Wow, you are not the first person that’s recommended Rowenta irons. I’ve just replaced my Sunbeam again – after only 18 months – they just don’t last like they used to. I wonder where Australians can purchased Rowentas. By the way, Cybele, most Australian irons are about $65 on average – for something with more bells and whistles (but not always guaranteed to last any longer) you need to pay $100 minimum.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m pretty happy with my Rowenta too, though it does occasionally leak on me. It was a$100 iron too, so I’m diligent about emptying it and turning it off each time I’m finished. I also clean it out pretty regularly with vinegar. It gives great steam and has that really useful precision point in the front that helps to get into small places.

LINK

Thanks for the feedback! I’m not sure Rowenta is available in Australia but I’ll have a look. I like the idea of a fast heat up so I can turn it on and off as need rather than leaving it on because it takes so long to heat up. And the precision point sounds nice too. I’ll have to see what is around.

LINK

Yes, my husband was right the iron is dead, the sole plate half detached from the rest of the iron tonight stopping my sewing. First thing tomorrow is a new iron, glad I did most of my research!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Dropped my iron on the carpet last night. Ugh! Seems fitting punishment for hemming 3 pairs of store bought pants for Sophie. Oh how I despise hemming!

Enjoy your new iron Heidi! What will you iron first?

LINK

Probably the tiny Art Museum Vest I’m making 🙂

LINK

I got my new iron a few days ago, it is a Sumbeam Verve 66 Stainless (it has a polished stainless steel footplate). It is lovely and made me realise how bad the old one was!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I keep dropping my irons. I dropped my Rowena last year and it broke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.