Oliver + S

What do you think of a separate sash instead of the attached tie sash?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

Something wide like this to go on the fairy tale dress?

http://thecottagemama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ThePartyDress.jpg

Like/dislike?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Something like that would always look good on a Fairy tale style of dress. My concern is if it rides up at the front it will look terrible. So I suggest doing something like a cumberband at the front and attaching the sashes as per the pattern to achieve the look. They can both meet at the side seams and be attached there. Either that or add sash loops at the sides. It basically needs to be secured somehow to stop any potential situation of riding up the bodice at the front.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think Melanie suggested removable sashes (or Shelley)? for car travel and adding a bit of variation.

If you tie a good bow it shouldn’t shift and if you are worried do what was done to me at countless weddings, use a tiny gold safely pin at the side seams to hold it in place.

http://olivesuiteweddings.com/2011/07/10/tying-a-perfect-bow-a-step-by-step-guide/

LINK

Thank you both. I might do something like you mention Justsewit, b/c my daughter has a habit of playing with her sashes to dresses so having it attached will prevent it from being up around her chest or down around her knees. OT: I peeked into her dance class one day just in time to see her stretchy headband being shimmied up over her hips, up her torso and back over her head. When she left class I asked her where her headband was (it was missing by then) and she said the instructor had taken it away from her…lol! I foresee the same thing happening with the sash if I don’t secure it!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I made the same style dresses for my daughters (for a wedding) with removeable belts, and did what Nicole suggested….a safety pin on the inside of the dress catching the backside of the belt.

I saw a picture once of a wedding where all the little nieces had wide, (obviously) unattached belts, and they had all worked their way down around the hips with round little bellies protruding over the top. NOT a good look! 😀

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Here’s the one I did with a wide front sash: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/11903611316/

I simply made another sash section and gathered it in the same was as the back sash. Both front and back sashes were fixed at the side seams. It doesn’t ride up at all as I imagine a completely free sash would.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have gravitated towards nearly always using a separate sash. It’s easier for washing, ironing and changing the look of a dress. I add thread loops at the side seams to help keep the sash in place. I make a 3rd sash piece the width of the side sash and the same measurement as the front bodice piece. This way, the sash seams are at the sides where they don’t show.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yup, same here — I’ve used thread bar “belt loops” and they work a treat.

LINK

Thank you Meleliza. That sounds like the perfect alternative! That’s what I’m going to do!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Could you use loops like that on a sash as wide as the one that PreemieMomma linked to?

LINK
    Anonymous @
    LINK

Nothing to do with the sash but I didn’t want to start a new thread for one simple question/issue. I’m just about done with the dress – I’m at that point of hand sewing the rest of the lining. It looks lovely BUT when I try it on my daughter, as she moves, I see an area where the lining/tulle show but when the dress is off, it appears to be lined up properly. I’ve tried it on her twice and had the same issue. What is the best way for me to shorten just the one spot once I figure out where exactly my trouble spot is?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It should be the same all the way around because the skirt is just a rectangle. But if the lining is showing, I think the simplest thing would be to shorten the entire lining skirt and trim the tulle.

LINK

Thank you. I think I will wait until I have the lining completely sewed in and try it on her again. If it’s still an issue, I’ll roll the lining hem up one more turn and resew. My lining fabric is thin so one more roll to the hem shouldn’t add much bulk. And then trim the tulle as needed, of course. Overall, I’m very pleased with the dress and can’t wait to get a photo to post!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Melanie has given the perfect answer.

I am wondering if the lining and tulle has slipped down in one area when you were stitching it? Perhaps check the waist seam and unpick and hitch it up to be even.

Or just turn the hem again…..;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.