Oliver + S

voile

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    tatataterri @tatataterri

I was thinking of using voile for a pinwheel tunic for my daughter. However, I’ve never used voile, bust just seeing it in finished pieces makes me really want to! Is there any important tips or things I should know? Also, can I make bias binding out of voile?

LINK
    tatataterri @tatataterri

or maybe I want lawn? really I just want something lightweight and flowy, but not if it’s too tricky to use…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have made bias from voile, and found a good steam helps it stay in place. Lawn is a little crisper but still light. I’ve been thinking along the same lines, this one seems like it would also be beautiful in rayon.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I recently bought some voile that my daughter claimed for her own (and requested a dress from) that I am considering for this dress. I agree with Sarvi, it’s light and steaming is helpful (as are lots of thin pins). I’ve also been wondering if pre-made bias (I think my local shop carries some of the Moda colors) would be too weighty with the voile? I haven’t used the pre-made before. Gots ideas?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Voile is desperately easy to work with, so is lawn. Yes, you can definitely make bias from it. Use lightweight poly thread and a smallish needle. That’s it. I think voile is perfect for this because its semi sheer. Use a print on the outer layer and a contrast color underneath. Oooor, how about a sheer over layer with contrast bias and contrast slip underneath? I love all the possibilities with this pattern.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I want to make the tunic and dress in size 7 voile all out of the same voile. The voile is 54 inches wide and when I add the fabric requirements (for 45 inch wide fabric) together for both pieces the sum is 3 3/4 yards. How much fabric should I buy of the 54 inch wide voile?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

The fabric scrooge in me would suggest this: Trace off the pattern and lay the pieces out on the floor in the tightest arrangement possible which is no more than 54″ wide. Then buy that much.

The fabric shopper in me says: buy the 3&1/2 yards cause you can never have too much fabric, you’ll find a use for the rest, you know you will. 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

The only problem with scrooging before you buy is that if you make a mistake and have to recut a piece, there’s that delay and break in your workflow. I do like to scrooge once I have my fabric and see how much extra I can squeeze out. Often I’ll enough left for a whole small project or accents (bodice linings, pocket linings) on another.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.