Oliver + S

uniform pant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    sasha @sasha

I have a couple of question I’m hoping someone will be able to help me with.

I have a 7 year old that I need to make a navy uniform pant for. The store bought ones never fit her. They are way to big in the waist. She also complains that they ride up her bum. She does a have round bum. I guess that contributes to the problem. How would I give her some room in the bottom part of the pant without making the waist and front look huge?

My second issue is finding decent fabric to make the navy uniform pant. I bought some twill from fabric.com a couple of years ago and it was such a wrinkly mess that it really isn’t an option. The store bought pants don’t wrinkle nearly that much even if they are 100% cotton. Any suggestions?

Thanks you all for your help!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

There’s a link for altering a rise to make room for cloth diapers here:

https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=24726#post-169716

I imagine it would be the same to alter for a round bum?

I quite like cotton twill with some rayon or modal in it. Really nice hand.

LINK
    sasha @sasha

Thank you for the tip on the cloth diaper alteration. I will have to make a practice pair trying that.

Where do you find cotton twill with the rayon or modal in it?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The Sketchbook have a roomy derriere. My eldest son is still wearing his size 12’s ( with a fly) and nearly 16.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Honestly, I don’t know. I buy a lot of stuff at a discount fabric place that is local to me. You might try stretch twill, I’ve seen that at JoAnn Fabrics recently.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Cotton will gradually become easier to press but it can be a pain.

When shopping in person,I find scrunching the corner of the fabric will soften the dressing and give you an idea of how it will respond.

Are you in AUS Sasha? I was put on to a fab fabric store in Melbourne.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I have an almost 7 year old daughter, and her thighs and butt are the biggest part about her. I recently made a pair of art museum pants in a size 7. Because of the elastic back, the fit in the rear seem pretty roomy. I’ve also made her the after school pants several times. I think those would work really well for a child with a smaller waist because it is easy to cinch up the elastic, yet they still tend to have a lowish rise and slimmer fit. And, yes…I have a long love affair with the sketchbook shorts.

I’ve had luck with the brushed french twill (lightweight) and organic cotton twill (much heavier) both from fabric.com. They each are 100% cotton but get where they don’t wrinkle much after the first several washes. Anything with polyester in it won’t wrinkle so bad. I’ve gotten some decent ones from fabricmart.com, but I’m not a fan because synthetics just don’t breathe well in my hot, humid climate.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Can you use coudoury? Or are you doing sneaky school uniforms?

LINK
    sasha @sasha

I wish I could use corduroy. They will allow us to choose our own brand on the pant as long as it looks similar. I think I will try ordering some of the fabric from fabric.com again. Maybe I need to wash it several times before I make them. I live in the US so I will have to find a store here. Thank you all for your help!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Just ran across this diagram for a “full butt adjustment”– and thought of this thread!

http://www.sewalongs.com/clover/clover-full-or-flat-butt-adjustments

LINK
    sasha @sasha

Thank you! I am going to give that a try.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.