Oliver + S

Underwear!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hi all! Now that Liesl has broached the underwear topic (in her Friday post), I’d love to hear your thoughts…..I’ve been unable to find high quality 100% cotton ladies underwear (ie- the only ones I’ve found are target/walmart). I would love to find a Hanna Andersson/Boden type quality for me (I have emailed requesting women’s underwear from both of those companies…but no luck so far), as that’s what I buy for the kids and they last FOREVER. If anyone has any leads, I would love to know. To open this up on a sewing angle, I’d love to hear who makes their own undergarments and what patterns they love….

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

i don’t make underwear (yet!) but i have had these same thoughts when i find nice jersey or cotton prints. But I do sew quite a few stretchy things for my daughter who dances, and plan on making a few swim things for use this summer. I’ve used Jalie and their patterns are well-designed, and come in a very wide size range for the price; don’t expect the great instructions that we take for granted with o+S though!
    Jalie women’s underwear

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The only underwear I’ve made are those that go inside swim shorts. Courtesy of Jalie who I think have exceptional swimwear patterns (but then I haven’t tried others so…) i would think their underwear patterns would be very straight forward.

LINK
    Katherine @willknitformath

I made my first pair of underwear last night, using the Seamwork Geneva pattern. It was pretty easy (although I am slow – it took me almost 3 times as long as the pattern suggests).

There are a few things I’m going to change next time: it seems like the front end of the crotch lining pattern piece isn’t quite the right shape – on my pair, the last 3/4″ is hanging free because it is too narrow to be caught in the elastic at the leg openings. Also, I’m going to take maybe 1/2″ off the front leg openings for a slightly more comfortable fit.

Overall I like the pattern, and I was able to make my first pair just using scraps leftover from a dress I made last summer. I’m definitely going to make more!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think this is the pattern I’m going to try:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/175085804/lingerie-panties-sewing-pattern-ohhh?ref=shop_home_active_8

The seller has training in foundation garments, which gives me confidence that she knows what she’s doing. I’ll let you know how it goes!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh that looks like a lovely pattern Liesl! Looks as though it will provide a decent amount of coverage and hopefully won’t ride up (there is nothing worse than panties that creep up).

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Totally agreed, Tamara! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.