Oliver + S

Tutu Requirements

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Does anyone have the LTTS book sitting beside them? I am planning to make tutus for Christmas gifts and keep forgetting to bring my book to work with me for ordering materials. If someone would be so kind as to tell me the tulle and ribbon yardage requirements I would really appreciate it!!

-Camille

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

1-2 yds. each of 5 different colors of tulle

3 yds. of 1″ or 1 1/2″ wide ribbon (grosgrain works best)

!. Estimate the skirt length for your tutu and double that measurement to get the cut length of tulle needed. Then purchase 5 pieces of tulle cut to the length of your doubled measurement.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Thank you!

LINK
    abcmil @abcmil

I am just coming to make this tutu for my niece for her birthday party this evening. I bought this book and was so excited and now i am basically disgusted as I am sitting here with all the correct yardage of fabric according to the book, only to find that the author basically assumed all tulle fabric is 108″ wide (which is needed in entirety to make this tutu correctly), and mine is 44″, purchased from two different fabric stores, mind you. Considering I got mine from two different fabric stores, I can assume the store where the fabric is purchased from for making the tutu in the book is not all that common, just a chance! I am wondering how people can make money selling books based on general assumptions and no one fact checks these books. I am so frustrated and trying to figure out what to do for the party….. wasted time and money to end up in a pinch….

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I made mine with 44″ wide fabric and it turned out just fine. Follow the directions, it’ll be okay. You just have less gathering to do. Which is fine by me!

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I’ve done a couple of these with both the 54″ and 108″ widths, even combinations of the two. You should be able to put something nice together, just needs a little more cutting and calculating. I made one with the 20 layers suggested in the book, but also one with far less and it was lovely as well. Just figure out your length (I think 17″ is the example given)and waist size, double the waist measurement and see what you can get out of your fabric. Keep in mind that you can where the instructions say to fold you can actually use two cut pieces. it’s a pretty forgiving pattern. Have fun! 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Abcmil, I’m sorry you’re so frustrated. Here is a link where you can purchase 108″ wide tulle, which is what I prefer but certainly isn’t necessary:

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=tulle&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

However, if you already have narrower tulle, you can easily make the tutu by simply laying two layers next to each other so they overlap slightly at the ends. You’ll essentially be creating your own wider tulle, and the ends really won’t show. I’m sure it will be fine. As a few other people have mentioned, you can make the tutu with narrower tulle as well, and it would probably be easier because you don’t need to gather as much.

Best wishes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.