Oliver + S

Tutu Gap – so frustrated

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

I followed the directions to a T and she opened it this morning, we put it on and her hiney hangs out. What in the world?!?! I thought I read on here that someone else had this problem. Help!!!!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m afraid I can’t help as to fit as I got trumped by my parents who presented their granddaughter with a commercial sparkly purple fairy dress so the tutu hasn’t even been tried on yet! (sigh).

In future though, I would make the under waistband longer in order to have more folded back so that the covering ribbon can stop about three quarters of an inch from the edge. That way the tying of the bow doesn’t create a “hole” in the waistband.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Oh no Shelley!

I do second what McStitch says, perhaps the ribbon on the tutu wasn’t long enough?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Very good to know Shelley.

I am so sorry about the fairy costume, grrrrr on your behalf.

LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

The directions, all though not in front of me, said measure waist, this will be the size of your ribbon. Then you mark in 1/2″ on each side, which creates a gap. I knew I should have just tried it on her before I finished and wrapped the silly thing. Now I’m figuring out how to salvage.

McStitch – you were gracious not to kick your parents out on Christmas morning 😛

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

No solution, but I had this problem too – couldn’t deal with trying to salvage it!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

This isn’t helpful either, but I make Sophie where leggings under her tutu.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

I recently made the tutu and found the biggest problem was static cling due to cold dry air in my home. The tulle stuck to my hands and once complete, the layers wanted to fly off in all directions!

However, I thought this tutu was supposed to be like an apron with a bit of an opening where the bow is tied. I think it looks sweet how it turned out and if my wearer was a toddler I’d totally be making frilly bum leggings to wear underneath to double the sweetness.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Oh such a cute idea Deb! That would be so sweet!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Have you got any tulle letf? Could you make a narrow Tutu piece, add elastic through the ribbon and sew it on the I side on both sides of the back? It would add an elastic waist but leave the ribbon free to be tied.

LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

The book makes it look like the “apron” goes all the way around. No bums hanging out. I don’t have any extra tulle. Ugh. It’s really long so maybe I cut try again with the same tulle :(????

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m sorry to hear this! The idea behind the apron is that you customize the waist to fit the wearer. The actual waist ends up 1″ shorter than the wearer’s waist to allow room for tying a knot and bow and to make the waistband snug–we don’t want it to fall down! Because there is so much gathering in the tulle, the fullness fills in the gap. So yes, there is an opening where the two ends meet when the tutu is tied, but no one’s bottom should be sticking out! I wonder if you could just open the two ends and make the gathered section a bit wider? You don’t want it to be too wide or it won’t fit the waist.

Does that help?

LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

Thank you Liesl. I’m going to try what you said. It’s so beautiful except for the draft in her aft. Ha!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.