Oliver + S

Turning the Placket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

So, I have the Right placket on and pinned in place, preparing to turn right side out. Per Step 2 of the instructions, I sewed 1/2″ from the edge to the dot, then clipped my seam allowances. In the photo it looks like an “L” has been trimmed; meaning, the seam allowance was trimmed horizontally above the dot and then vertically towards the dot. I did this then realized that when I turned this placket RSO there was going to be a nice point AND a clipped raw edge! That’s exactly how it looked when I turned it too.

I have read and re-read the instructions and studied the pictures. I have to be missing something very obvious. Can someone help me understand this?

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

That sounds right, believe it or not. If I recall correctly, the raw edge is encased in the collar. So you don’t see it. If I’m wrong, someone feel free to correct me, but that’s how I remember it! HTH!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

That sounds right to me ckcsbella, having just done a placket myself. Maraya, did you accidentally sew from the cut edge to the dot instead of the folded edge to the dot? I know at one time I had done that and thankfully noticed it before I had cut the seam allowance.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

No, I definitely cut from the folded edge. But when trimmed the seam allowances (cutting a square from the placket) and turned, the point was there – nice and crisp – but the top part of the placket was definitely in 2 pieces and the raw edge was showing. I wish I’d have taken pictures. I’m planning to work on it more tonight, so I’ll take pictures when I do the Left placket.

Thanks!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I think I understand what you’re talking about. Are you left with and “L” shaped edge when you finished the placket with the raw edges on the inside? If so, that gets sewn in when you attach the collar.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

The raw edge is what gets sewn in that is.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Yes, the “L” part at the top of the placket is where I had an issue. The bottom, if you will, of the “L” was the point and enclosed. It’s the ‘side’ of the “L” that’s the issue. When I trimmed the seam allowances and turned the placket RSO the ‘side’ of it is raw and the folded edges are then what get topstitched to complete that side of the placket.

I will definitley take pictures tonight as I work. This might be helpful for the next sew-along.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Hmmm, photos would definitly be helpful. I love puzzles, so I’m anticipating what your situation is.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I remember having to fiddle with this, but it will work,take your time, I will go have a look at the pattern.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Alright. Working on my left placket… I have sewn the 1/2″ seam to the dot and have marked where I should trim, per the instructions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/4924662607/

When turned RSO now I have a nice crisp corner and raw edges! Gah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/4924662739/

Try as I might I just can’t figure out how this piece is supposed to turn to form a clean edge! It has to be something simple that I’m over looking.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Ah, Excytin and Bella! Have just tried re-reading this thread again to see if it made more sense with the pattern in front of me…and it does! I see now where it looks like that top part of the “L” gets stitched in at the collar! Funny thing is, I read the instructions about 4 times start to finish before starting the project, but got so worked up when I saw those raw edge that I guess I lost all my senses. 😉

Thanks so much!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Hah. And this is what happens when you don’t get worked up so easily. thank you again friends for talking me down from my ledge. 🙂

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/4924869409/ (the colors are off here…the print is more burnt orange and earth toned)

Went ahead with putting in the buttonholes and attaching the pockets. I prefer to have as little bulk as possible when working on topstitching. Hopefully by bed time tomorrow night I’ll have a finished product!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Your have done every thing right ! That is seam allowance

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I’m so glad that it finally came to you!! I know what it’s like to rack your brains and you start to wonder why you’re not getting it. I wondered how things were going to turn out on the jump rope after just having done the music class shirt where the process is just slightly different. Liesl and all the wonderful people who follow the forum always pull us through. By the way, I LOVE your main fabric!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

You’re top stitching is impeccable! I wish mine looked that good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.