Oliver + S

tunic flounce

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    jennicaforce@yahoo.com @jennicaforce@yahoo.com

I’m making the Pinwheel dress in sizes 4 and 7. It seems that there is a problem with the tunic flounce front pattern piece— it doesn’t align correctly with the flounce back piece and is off by an inch or more. I ended up using the dress flounce pattern piece in it’s place and it’s working well, but has anyone else encountered this issue?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Jennica, I made the size 8 http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/pinwheel-slip-dress-tutorial.html and didn’t have a gap with that size.

There doesn’t seem to be an errata for it so we shall have to wait and see if anyone else has had a problem with that size.

I am glad you found a solution.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hm, I made the size 3 and didn’t spot it either, but need to size up to a 4 now, so I’ll keep an eye out and see if I run into trouble.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I made the size 4 with no problem, take your time while pinning the flounce to the tunic. I had t fiddle with mine a wee bit.

~Sharon~

LINK

The problem I encountered was pinning the tunic flounce front to the tunic flounce back. The width of the front piece was and inch or more too narrow. Other than that, all is going well 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Did you clip into the seam allowances of the flounce? That will help a lot. When you have curves, the pieces will seem like they don’t match up, but once the seam allowances are released it will all work out. Which reminds me that I still need to write that blog post, too…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think jennica’s saying the trouble came with assembling the flounce itself, rather than with attaching the flounce to the body of the tunic — I just measured both pieces at the edge where they attach and get 5.5 in a piece for the size 4. Is it possible you traced or cut two different sizes?

LINK

Oh, my gosh— you’re right!!! I was tracing size 4 and size 8 patterns at the same time and I DID cut a size 8 dress back with a size 4 front. Sarvi, you get a gold star for the day, Liesl, I’m flattered you responded, and thanks to everyone else who tried to help. I’m a bit embarrassed, but relieved to have the answer, and will never try to cut two pattern sizes at the same time in the future.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Awesome, I love a happy ending!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It happens to the best of us, glad it worked out!

LINK
    Avacadopie @Avacadopie

Help! Has anyone made the slip dress in size 12-18 m? I simply cannot get the flounce to ease in at the front of the dress no matter how much I pin and clip the seam allowance! I’ve checked that I ve traced and matched the correct pieces three times, my seam allowances are accurate, what am I doing wrong?? I’ve cut into some precious to me fabric to make this little dress, I am really hoping I haven’t ruined it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Can you post a quick photo of what you’ve got to the flickr group? It might be easier to troubleshoot if we can see.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

and while the experts weigh in, take a deep breathe, relax your shoulders, and walk away from the fabric and sewing for a bit. Watch Downton Abbey (or anything else you like). Play with the kids, eat Girl Scout cookies. just get away from the dress. You haven’t ruined anything, it may end up a bit different from what you had in mind but in my experience different usually ends up perfect, just a different perfect!

LINK
    Avacadopie @Avacadopie

Ugh, well I ve taken it apart for now. I will give it another go at pinning when the baby falls asleep.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It probably won’t be any help but I did do a tute for this. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143876326568/

I have not made this size so I cannot vouch for it but is there any chance you have stretched the bias? Or accidentally drafted the wrong size flounce? These are two common problems with this dress.

I wish I could come and help you. I feel so frustrated at times, reading the forum and not being able to be more help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.