Site icon Oliver + S

To over lock or not to overlock, that is the question?

Hi all, it is my birthday today (59, unfortunately.) I can choose a birthday present from my husband. My Janome sewing machine is a very basic model, so no one-step buttonholes and complains when sewing over a thick seam, but other than that, its fine. I don't need fancy stitches, other than for sewing knits (been there, did fancy, would rather hand embroider.) Anyway, I am debating whether to get an overlocker/serger/coverstitch or dress form. So, seeking your opinions. If I get a dress model I will still need to adapt it, even if I get a dialling one. I am 95% way through doing my own and can't quite seem to get padding correct and its such hard work. But would be handy as only males left at home now and rubbish at helping with fit, etc. And if I am honest, despite reading lots of info, I still don't really know what a server/coverstitch/over locker actually does- or doesn't. Is it a sewing machine as well? Does that mean I can give my machine to my eldest daughter who is returning to UK from Canada, by the way!! Yippee! There is an offer locally for a Janome 8050XL that comes as a combo with a Janome overlocker 8002DX with £100 off the overlocker. Would I be better off buying a separate more expensive over locker/server/coverstitch? I'm not talking mega money here, just a few hundred pounds. Thank you! Nicole- hope you are around as you sound like Serger Queen of the Outback!!!!

Exit mobile version