Oliver + S

To blog or not to blog?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

I’m debating starting a blog as a way to chronicle my sewing exploits. I read many of the blogs written by you lovely ladies, and really look forward to seeing your posts pop up in my reader. I’m not entirely sure what my goal would be, but often I find myself having so many thoughts and reflections on my projects with nobody to tell! Sure, I bore my husband with them sometimes, but I think an outlet would be good for me. Plus, down the road, to be able to show my girls what I did every night after they were asleep would be nice.

So, if you have a blog, WHY do you? Do you find it laborious to keep it up? Are you motivated to take photos and sit down and actually write out thoughtful content? What platform do you use? One other thing I am struggling with is during my free time I’d probably rather be sewing!

Also, please post a link to your blog so I can add it to my reader. I have some, but surely not all.

Thank you!

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Hi Kelly – I have a blog – and I started for exactly why you said you might start one – it’s because I really don’t have any friends who sew, so who can I talk to about it? My husband gives me a blank stare when I tell him about my pattern decisions, button decisions, fabric decisions….

I sewed for many years for my older kids with no input from anyone else, and no feedback. I only have a few photos of them wearing clothes I made them and now I really regret that I don’t have better photos of special clothes that either I worked really, really hard on, or that they wore for special occasions.

With the many blog platforms out there, they’re really easy to set up and even easier to post once you get it set up the way you want. I’m currently using Blogger, but it’s a Google product and now that they’re doing away with Reader, I’m thinking Blogger may be next.

I blog at: http://socalsewingmom.blogspot.com/

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Snap! I’ve been having exactly the same thoughts. I have no desire to have a blog, my life is not particularly interesting and I cherish my privacy. BUT I do like to document my sewing exploits, and I appreciate other rpeople’s beautiful pictures and descriptions of what they’ve dnoe. Plus, I’ve written a few absurdly lengthy Flickrmails to people describing how I navigated a particualr step in making something. A blog would have to be easier.

I’ve got soooo much else I should be doing. I have no interest in following blogs, raising revenue, having subscribers, doing facebook etc, so my blog will be an unknown and unknowable enitity anyway.

So why bother? For me it will be to showcase an outfit that I’m working on, and perhaps to document some of the japanese pattern sewing that can be complicated. Even if only i refer back to it it will be helpful! Anyway, I started one two days ago…. It may amount to nothing. We’ll see (or at least I’ll see, like I said, no-one may notice it out there)

http://www.bartacksandsingletrack.blogspot.com (nicely memorable for me but untypeable for many!)

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I started a blog just over a year ago because I never remembered to write down sizing notes or any other mods I did no matter how many times I told myself I would. I didn’t think anyone would ever read it and I honestly didn’t care, it was for me, my way to write my thoughts down when my husband looked at me with glazed eyes. But I have met so many great women I am happy to call friends through blogging and flickr (started both about the same time).

I only blog when I have time, usually after the kids have gone to bed and I am too tired to sew anyways. I have had projects sit un-blogged for over a month and a few times not at all. I appreciate those who take the time to blog and give reviews on patterns, their tips and tricks and share their beautiful photography (and cute kids!), I have been so inspired by many blogs. Anywho, mine is http://sewingforfour.blogspot.com

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I love my blog!

I started after a sweet friend encouraged me. I would love to do more but I don’t get time. I am not fussed about getting hardcore but I love the comments and interaction.

If you click my name you can find me!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I blog – while this means what I write and post is out there for anyone to read, I really just do it for myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading comments people leave for me, but I’m not particular interesting, and nor is my sewing (or cooking, or whatever I choose to blog about) anything out of the ordinary. I have been trying lately to put more info into my sewing posts, but again, this is helpful for me too.

As Brittney says, there is a social aspect to it, which I love – I have made many dear friends through Flickr, and my blog is a way of sharing more of my life with them (since none of us live close!)

http://www.justmejay.blogspot.com.au

As to the actual mechanics of it – I did find it a bit time consuming at first, but with the advent of smart phones, it’s now very easy – I use the blogpress app, and I can upload pics straight from my phone. I do still have trouble using hypertext links with this, but go back and edit later (if I remember) from my PC.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I am so glad you all blog. I love reading about your sewing. Go for it Kelly! If you don’t like it, you can quit. I am glad you started a blog, LightningMcStitch.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m in the same boat as Justine. It’s nice to read about my friends’ thoughts, and it’s just a little different format that encourages both longer and shorter posts (longer contemplations of some aspect of your life, and sometimes just a quick snapshot) that wouldn’t be appropriate on a message board where you’re meant to think a bit more about other people and the general conversation. The upside of having a sparsely populated blog is that if it’s really just for yourself, there’s no pressure to post if you don’t feel like it or try to make money out of it. The down side is that if you don’t post as much, you don’t build up that same nice record of all the little things that meant a lot to you. Especially if you’re still in a sleep-loss phase of parenting, your memory might not be the glorious thing it once was (mine definitely is more sieve than bank these days).

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Thank you for your replies! I’m inspired enough to just jump in right now, so I will! I can’t wait to read all of your blogs. At first glance, they look fantastic. How nice to read about experiences and ruminations others have had that are so similar to your own! Sarvi, yes, I do think that sometimes I will have shorter snapshots of every day life, and others will be longer chronicles of my sewing adventures, and likely motherhood beyond as well. And as so many of you mentioned, the social aspect is so appealing. I love chatting with you all here, and in a limited capacity on Flickr, but will be nice to engage on a deeper level.

Lighting, I have also just started trying out Japanese patterns! I’m currently working my way through this past sew along: http://www.japanesesewingbooks.com/2012/08/08/sew-along-2-the-balloon-dress/. The series you mentioned from You and Mie sounds great. I will participate in that as well.

Nicole, I know your blog well, you’ve helped me many a time!!

Yes, I think this will be good. As I’m plunging deeper and deeper into the sewing world, I find myself hungry for more engagement and conversation with peers..since, as you mentioned Juliamom, none of my friends or family can relate.

Thank you all!! I’ll report back with my blog when I get it set up!

Kelly

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yay, looking forward to it! It’s so important to have the support of a wider community, isn’t it?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I started mine to keep track of sewing projects and any mods I’ve made to a pattern. I used to be pretty good about updating it every few days. But due to a busier than usual last couple of months, I’ve found it harder to keep it updated. It can be time consuming to go back through and edit pictures and write a post.

My advice would be to blog for yourself and not worry about what other people’s blogs are like or what the collective latest blogging advice is. Have fun with it!

I’ll keep an eye out for your new blog, Kelly.:)

Cindy

(like Nicole, if you click on “beachmom” it’ll direct you to my blog)

LINK
    sidewalkgoddess @sidewalkgoddess

I have a blog. I have wanted to have a craft blog for ages, but it took moving away from my family to get motivated. I took a bit of getting used to the pictures and the writing, but after a couple weeks it is just in my routine now. I use WordPress, but only because my husband does for a living. He bought me a Domain as part of my Christmas present.

Manicpixiedreammom.com

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I just started blogging and i have no followers or anything, but it is a place for me to empty out my brain of things that float around in there — sewing, but also baking and other crafts. I link to my facebook every so often, and onto Pinterest, but it is also for my family all over the word to see what I’m up to regardless of time differences or lack of opportunities to chat in person….

chefreeni.blogspot.com

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Jennifer1568, what a kind thing to say. thank yuo. keep your expectations low and I’ll endeavour to deliver!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I always want to blog but am unable to commit to it. I always think who wants to hear what i have to say. yet…my friends on FB tell me I should because of the stories I tell about my kids. Like my sons discussion about how the hair color didn’t color the white. Charming.

I do love reading everyone’s blogs though. I take pics to help me through harder parts, like when I figured out the hem facing for the FR dress. I write a note in my instructions that I have a picture to illustrate it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.