Oliver + S

This is not a day for sewing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I got my sewing machine back a couple days ago and I have all sorts of fabric bought and ready to go for planned outfits. BUT I just couldn’t get into the groove today. I keep thinking about everything I want to do and can’t concentrate on one thing! Plus I’m a bit tired.

Instead, today has become a fabric pre-washing and goofing around on the computer day. Maybe I can get back to sewing on Monday.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

That’s what my week has felt like: all sorts of work but nothing to show for it at the end of the day. I’m learning to save my To Do lists so I can look back and see that I really am accomplishing things–sometimes it’s hard to feel that way in the day to day.

Next week will be better! Pre-washing is ALMOST sewing, after all…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That was my day yesterday and the day before. I managed to trace and cut out the Sailboat top in the size I needed, and get the fabric washed and dried. I’m telling myself the fabric has to ‘rest’ over night. It’s good to lie fallow for a while, every so often.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sometimes I get those days, I either push through it ( once you get going, you can feel better) or I will tidy my work room , clean my machines , go through fabric.

If I have a second day of ‘I don’t want to’s’, I do a less then pleasing job , scrub the bathroom, windows,clean the oven or fridge.

Sewing is then a lot more appealing.

Strangely, I havn’t had one of these days for the last 5 months …..

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Wow , did not mean to sound so pompous ,I was actually trying to give a compliment, love the patterns ….

Sandi must be right , going batty, and the baby slept through so I can not blame her !

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

I have those days too. I sometimes find that just not even trying to find the inspiration is the best way to go about it. I’ll just do something else, and when I get back to it, I will be refreshed!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

THIS IS NOT THE WEEK FOR SEWING! I have managed to stuff up both projects that I’ve started this week! Had intended on making Will’s sandbox shorts and a tea party dress for Lulu, but Will’s changed his mind about his fabric and didn’t have the right colour contrast for Lu’s dress SO…decided to make a sailboat top and a hopscotch nightie – BOTH DISASTERS! Put buttonholes (which were perfect, btw) too close to edge (my fault completely) and when I put sleeves in – arrrgh! & as for my first effort at sewing knit – not good! Think I’ll throw it out (at least it is not my city weekend fabric!)

I shall take a break…chocolate!

Thanks for listening to me vent!! 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Can I tell you a secret? shh, I don’t like sewing with knit that much, don’t tell any one…..

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh Justine! So sorry you’ve had a rough go. Please don’t give up on the knit fabric before you get to your City Weekend. It’s so much better, I promise you’ll have fun making the Hopscotch! As for Nicole’s secret, I just finished a top in Michael Miller knit and it was no where near as fun as the City Weekend. I grumped more than once! Moda has really done well.

I have done the same thing with the Sailboat buttonholes before though. So frustrating! Enjoy the chocolate, maybe a glass of wine…

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Thanks Nicole & Mel!!!

I will persevere – had choc! Wine tonight with dinner I think! Tomorrow is another day!…(& hopefully my fabric will arrive – waiting on 3 parcels – lol!)

– btw – would you unpick the buttonholes (haven’t cut them yet!) or make a whole new front piece? Or just leave it??

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Unpick the button holes, if you start they will just unravel.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Thanks! Will do it tonight while watching TV (the Aussie Grand Designs starts – my fav!!)

LINK
    Anonymous @

Sorry to hear about your frustration, justmejay. I hope all is better today. What is Aussie Grand Design? Sounds interesting.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Hi Sandi

Feeling better today – made a skirt for myself :)!

“Grand Designs” is a British show which looks at building houses, basically! Grand ones!It follows a different one from start to finish every episode. I’m a sucker for house/interiors/architecture shows (I did want to be an architect whilst at school!) Maybe a little like “This Old House”? (I like that one too!) An Australian version has just been made & the first episode was on Thurs night – don’t ask me how, but I missed it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

What time Justine ? I did not know about that ! I love Grand Designs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.