Oliver + S

This blasted point!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I have this trouble on many garments, but it is particularly bad on this kimono top. According to the pattern instructions, I am to sew the short end of the neck band closed at the kimono’s front edge and then trim it and turn it right side out. When I do, the bottom point of the trimmed neckband sticks out. I don’t see any way to avoid this except to leave the 1/2″ seam allowance at the bottom edge and fold it up inside the neckband. This works fine for thin fabrics, but gets quite bulky and difficult to manage for flannel. How can I do this and have a neater finish?? I may need to post a pic because I’m not sure if my description makes sense.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have the same problem with that bit,what I do is leave the seam allowance a little longer and fold it in perfectly flat,hand sew that binding down over that spot and then topstitch. Is that what you are doing?

The other way I tried was trimming it hard and poking it in to the binding,topstitching and then trimming any poking out pieces.

Tapping the seam with a hammer reduces bulk too.

I would love to hear any other suggestions.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Yes, Nicole, those are the two ways I’ve done it as well. I hadn’t tried the hand sewing step, which I think would help lots. I’ll also have to try the hammer next time!

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

I am glad to see that this does not happend only to me!

Last night I did my first attempt to this pattern, I will make all the winter pijamas to my daughter this year and I wanted to see if I could manage, overall I’m very pleased with the final result, but because I started sewing a few months ago I thought I did some dumb mistake in that part. Next time I will try hand sew that part before I topstich.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Perhaps this may help?

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/quick-bedtime-story-tutorial.html

Its not perfect but very sturdy.

~Nicole~

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

Thank you very much Nicole, that will help me for sure. I am always amazed with your sewing, let me say that I think you are an incredible sewer.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you,you are so kind.

I have been sewing for a long time but only sewing well since finding O+S. The finishing techniques I am constantly learning make the patterns a worthwhile investment.

Welcome!

~Nicole~

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.