Oliver + S

Tailoring Class Picnic Blouse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    learningtosew @learningtosew

In my quest to be as last minute as possible in making Christmas presents, I’m hoping to get a class picnic blouse done for my 5 year old daughter this weekend. It looks very wide to me, and I think I want to take it in just a bit. (I know it’s supposed to be loose, but it seems way wider than my daughter’s loosest shirts.) My questions are — have other people found this shirt to be really wide? If I want to take it in, do I take in from just the back piece, or do I need to take in the front piece as well? Thanks so much! Happy holidays to all! Jess

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I think the style itself is loose. It is such a multi-seasonal item I never minded them starting a little big to get the most wear. It also depends on how much drape your fabric has. The first few times I made the pattern I altered by using 5/8″ instead of 1/2″ seam allowances to slim it up a bit. But, that was just because I was too cheap to buy the smaller pattern set and only use it one year when my daughter was an average sized four years old. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/6030514560/in/set-72157633085350502/

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It is a fuller style as it is a ‘tailored’ peasant blouse (of sorts)

I it made for my girl here http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/8022349994/in/set-72157626639099661 she is very very skinny so I sized down and lengthened as the blouse has generous ease under the arms.

You could try basting the side seams together, fitting and the taking them in some more if needed. Just remember to take in the sam amount from the sleeve-to-under-arm seam so it all matches.

Good luck!

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It is a loose fitting style, but I don’t find it too billowy. I also like it a little big so she maybe gets two years out of it. Plus, she’s got that adorable little belly, so a little room isn’t a bad thing. Agreed that the drape of the fabric affects the fullness. I actually love this style in lightweight summery things, but also in snuggly flannel for winter. The extra room allows a turtleneck underneath.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

It is wide, but as the others said, the style is meant to be loose-fitting. That said, it was too wide in the shoulders for my older daughter, so what I have done for her is cut a smaller width and a longer length. When she was 3 she was wearing lengthened 24-month size Class PIcnic blouses.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I didn’t find it to be too wide — to my eye it would not look quite right if it were narrowed, as you’d be sort of fighting the style of garment. Nicole’s method of sizing down and lengthened seems best. My kid is pretty standard and I find with this blouse I sometimes like to add a little length because then it fits more like a tunic at first, then more like a blouse as she grows, looking very sweet all the way through. This top is one of my favorites, it’s practically immortal because of that easy-to-wear neckline. Make it with confidence!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.