Site icon Oliver + S

Supporting Oliver and S

Hi everyone

I don't post here very often (trying to avoid too much computer time to concentrate on sewing and children) but I do visit regularly. I was recently struck by a comment from Liesl in the "Wish list" thread in response to requests for a teen line of patterns. To paraphrase (I hope you don't mind, Liesl!), she said that the market for teen patterns is too small to make it worthwhile. She goes on to say: "the volume of Oliver + S patterns we sell allows us to do only slightly better than break even. That's the honest truth. We don’t make enough of a profit on Oliver + S patterns to be able to support a family."

I really can't get this out of my mind. It seems so wrong that people can make millions out of sweat-shopped clothing lines but the people that produce a product of exceptional quality and ethical integrity can not reap the same financial rewards. I realise that market forces are at work and the number of people that want to sew their children's clothes is minute compared to the number that want $1 t-shirts from Wal/K-mart, but it still seems fundamentally wrong.

I have run my own business and I always looked to Oliver and S as the kind of company I wanted mine to be, albeit in totally different industries: known for a superb product with a strong community of brand ambassadors (some would say evangelists!).

But running a business involves considerable financial risk and high levels of emotional commitment - especially hard when you have a young family. Frankly, there are easier ways to make a living. In the end, the juggle of business, family and my husband's job became too much and I sold my business last year.

I think Liesl's comment struck me mainly because I thought: "Argghh! What if she gives up too?!". I am sure she and Todd are made of stronger stuff than me, but I'd be bereft if a day came when there were no more O+S patterns to look forward to and learn from.

I suppose I just wanted to flag again that, if we want the choice of really great independent products and services, we do have to use them and champion them.

Laura x

Exit mobile version