Oliver + S

Sunny Days Shorts, How well do they fit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I noticed that the finished measurements for the Sunny Days Shorts are smaller than the corresponding hip measurements provided in the regular patterns. The extended waist measurement is at least an inch smaller than the size chart provided for the Art Museum pants, I used the Art Museum as there dose not seem to be a body measurement chart with the sunny days Shorts. I am concerned that the shorts will not fit as I sewed her regular oliver And S size but there is going to be barely 1/2″ ease to get them on!

How are others finding this pattern compared to where your child would normally measure? I think someone mention they needed to be size up.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

It was me – I sewed my son a 2T. He wears a 24-month Art Museum with room to spare, but the 2T shorts fit him perfectly around the hips and bottom (but they are a little long). So I would size up for the width for sure; you can scale back for the length if you like.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I haven’t made the Art Museum trousers so I can’t compare to those, but my daughter is outgrowing a lot of her size 4 stuff, and is still a bit small for her size 5s (these are O+S sizes), she is a tallish narrowish age 4 and a half. I made her a size 4 Sunny Days this morning and both length and width are pretty spot on. They’re neither slim nor baggy on her for width, and the way I hemmed the legs, they hit just above the knee. I serged the raw edge and turned them under appx 3/4 inch. I just eyeballed a hem I liked, I didn’t measure anything.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I went with the usual O+S sizes for both kids and they fit great.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

OK, I have to revise my answer, since I finished sewing up a pair of 18-24 mo Art Museum pants for my son last night. It is definitely smaller than the 2T Sunny Day. I can’t get him into the pants unless I put him in a disposable diaper, whereas the Sunny Day 2T fits over the fluffy bum. So my guess is that the sizing is the same. He must have just hit a growth spurt!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I too fins them on the small size compared to the other O+S patterns. I had to size for my oldest three boys for these to fit them. I put them all in a size bigger than they would wear normally and Jacob’s I had to make a 14 for him.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Please don’t forget different patterns will have a different cut.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Alas, I think the fit issues with my own clothes may be due to a growth spurt also, and not somebody sneaking in and shrinking all my clothes three sizes.

LINK

I got to try them on the recipient last night and as I suspected the size 4’s could barely be wriggled into 🙁 I think I’ll make either some peppet show shorts or badminton as I know both of those fit. I think next time I’ll go up by a size or even 2.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

This has probably already been discussed, but thought I would just mention it for those who may not have realized PDF printing does have issues. Make sure you measure the testing squares, accurately! If you are off by 1/8″, each square, both horizontally and vertically, you will have smaller shorts!!! Ask me how I know! 🙂 I always measure my squares, twice, with two different rulers/or tapes, to make sure they are correct. Tape measures can stretch over time, thus why I usually prefer hard rulers. I ran into a problem when printing off my ‘newer’ computer, recently. The default reader, not Adobe, printed off the squares, smaller by just 1/8″ of an inch, even though the ‘no scaling’ was in place. Because I was in a hurry, I measured once….figured I was picky and it was probably accurate. Nope! It’s amazing how that tiny, tiny bit adds up. So, double check your squares, ladies, when printing PDFs. 🙂

Carol

ps By the way, Todd and Liesl, I truly appreciate all the testing squares on the patterns!!!

LINK

Violaisabelle, I had that issue the first time I printed it off! Thoes first shorts were way to small. Once I got the printing sorted then the shorts measured as per the pattern, but didn’t fit the child well 🙁

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would just like to remind people that this is a free pattern that Oliver+S have generously supplied to us.

Helpful comments such as, ‘size up from Sketchbook’ are always appreciated.

Grumbles are not.

As it is a free gift to us, I suspect pattern testers were not paid to trial it.

This is my personal opinion, by the way.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Always check the size chart. If the kid measures in to a size you don’t usually make, still go with it. I have never been steered wrong with an O+S size chart. The only time I had something end up too small was when I ignored the chart. P.S. You did notice it was a ‘finished measurement’ chart, right?

LINK
    Elizabeth @Ekmcnally

To echo Sarvi, above, I made a size 4 and the fit seemed accurate. For reference, my daughter is close to outgrowing her size 3 sailboat pants and the size 4 sunny day shorts are plenty roomy. Sorry to those who have sewn things that don’t fit- how frustrating!

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

Even with measurement charts and finished garment charts I still almost always hold a pattern piece up to the child just to eye ball it when it’s a new pattern I’ve never sewn. Obviously not a neck facing piece, but sleeves, skirts, pants front, just to see if something is noticeably different from what I am expecting. Seems like different designs fit differently, regardless of designer or the “usual” size I make.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.