Oliver + S

stretchy denim waistband shifting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    sasha @sasha

I am making my daughter a pair of jeans with a stretchy denim. I am trying to top stitch the waist band and the stretchy denim is shifting and making a big mess. When I get to the other end it has shifted and everything is off. The facing is quilting cotton that has been interfaced. Does anyone have any tips to keep this from happening?

Would hand basting or wonder tape work?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I will often interface a stretch waistband on both pieces as this frequently happens. Another tip is to sew and stop, lift your presser foot (with the needle still in the fabric) this can prevent tucking and shifting.

To fix it now, try unpicking and hand sewing the waist band and then machine sew over that stitching.

I am not sure what wonder tape is, is that like double sided sticky tape?

LINK
    sasha @sasha

I think it is a double sided sticky tape that dissolves when washed. I haven’t actually bought any. I have just heard it mentioned by others.

Thank you for the tips Nicole. I will have to remove it and start over. I will interface both pieces next time!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh, that sound awesome, I wonder if I can get it in AUS?

Good luck!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Yeah, I would raise the presser foot a lot. You could also try decreasing the pressure a little, and maybe flipping it so the quilting cotton is on top– on my machine, the top layer will shift more than the bottom.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sometimes I get around this problem by pinning at regular intervals to ensure that the waistband lies flat and then holding it taut while sewing. If you hold in front and in back of the needle you should be able to keep the layers even and flat as you sew it.

LINK
    sasha @sasha

I removed the waistband and started over. I interfaced both the waistband and facing with fusible woven interfacing. I went slow and picked up the presser foot every now and then. It worked!

Thank you all for your help!

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Hi Nicole, thought of you and your question regarding Wonder Tape. Cheers D http://www.craftymamasfabrics.com.au/products/dritz-washaway-wonder-tape?variant=671330165

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you!

I will get some.

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Most welcome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.