Oliver + S

Sleeves inside out?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    esposetta @esposetta

Hi! I’ve been following the pattern precisely and when I got to the sleeves, I pinned and sewed right sides together, as stated. When it came time to sew the side seam, I started thinking, “This isn’t going to turn out right…” and sure enough, the dress was right side out and the sleeves weren’t. What did I do wrong? I’ve done a set-in sleeve like this once before but haven’t had this problem. Thanks!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Could you put a picture up? My guess is that you simply pinned the wrong side of the sleeve to the right side of dress. I tend to match up the middles first, and then work my way outwards, because I’ve done the same thing before. I also mark my fabric with “wrong side” on the plain fabrics that don’t have a print so I can quickly figure out which way to go. I hope it was easy to rip out and try again.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

The directions are correct for this step. You are sewing the sleeve in ‘flat’ verses in the round, which should, theoretically, make it easier.

Johanna made a good possible guess to what might have happened. Have you been able to work it out?

I’m sorry, I know how frustrating this can be. I just made a mistake in my sewing, last week, that I don’t think I have ever made in all my years of sewing, but I did it! šŸ˜› I had to laugh and scratch my head. I was working with lycra swim wear, not an easy fabric to rip apart. šŸ˜‰ I hope your correction went smoothly for you.

Carol

LINK
    esposetta @esposetta

Hi ladies. Thanks for the advice!

I’m working with printed fabric so I definitely had the right sides together. I was able to tear it out, but yesterday was one of those sewing days where nothing went right, so I haven’t picked it back up.

I think the fact that the sides weren’t already sewn threw me off and maybe that was my problem. I’m going to give it another try today and hopefully it will work out this time.

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.