Oliver + S

Sleeveless armhole binding and sizing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I sewed this dress in a size 12 – 18 months for my granddaughter’s first birthday. The pattern says to trim 1/2 off around the armhole then sew 1/4 inch around. The binding piece cut from the pattern did not reach around the armhole so I angled the end and sewed on another binding strip. The opening seems large. After the binding is sewn on does it get folded completely back inside the armhole or are you supposed to see 1/4 of the binding on the outside of the armhole? I also sewed her the birthday party dress, in the same size, and that came out as a smaller dress so am I right in thinking that this dress runs big?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hallo!

I have not made this sleeveless but I have sent out a few emails on your behalf.

As for sizing, I found it a roomier fit, a little like the Family Reunion. I made it to the chest measurement and added length.

I have a full tute here if you would like a look at the construction

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143878334960/

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

I haven’t made the sleeveless version but I would fold the binding completely inside unless I was using a contrasting fabric.

Like Nicole I found it really roomy while the Birthday Party more fitted.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you for the sizing information. I have two more cut out for my other granddaughters so I will go by the chest measurements and perhaps retrace a smaller size for each. I did fold the binding completely inside on the first dress and I will do that again. .

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, this style is not as fitted as some of our other styles. The dress is intended to be a looser fit, not a very fitted style. But if you find it to be roomier than you prefer, you could certainly refer to the finished measurement chart to choose the size you prefer. I hope that helps!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I thought I would follow up on my original question on the length of the binding for the sleeveless version. On my second sleeveless dress, in the same 12 – 18 month size, again the binding seemed much shorter than the arm opening. I pinned it on each end and in the center of the binding to the center of the sleeve opening and stretched it to fit as I sewed. I think this is what I should have done on the first one. I will write this on the envelope, where I store the traced pattern, so I will remember next time.

LINK
    lucegirlsart @lucegirlsart

@kmac0107 I just made this dress for the first time and had the same problem with my binding. It is about an inch too short for the armhole after cutting the 1/2″ off the bodice piece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.