Site icon Oliver + S

Sleepover pj pants made into harem pants

The time has come for me to get cracking and make the much needed costume for one of our leading "men" in the upcoming school production. He needs some Arabic chic in his costume consisting of, harem pants, a lovely shirt and a vest.

I have yet to meet this kid who is playing the role of the Prince of Araby (from the play Sheik Rattle n Roll) but from what I have been told, he is on the small side. I am really hoping that his sizing will fall into the Oliver and s size ranges so that I have patterns to fall back on.

The colors I plan to use are gold and red and am mainly using satin with the vest being a different sort of (forgotten the name of it) fabric that frays really badly but is great for costumes.

Really not sure as to how to go about them in order to create the "pinup Arabic stereotypical princely look" but I'm gathering it has something to do with the inner leg seam when dealing with a pattern such as this.

I am planning to use the sketchbook shirt as the basis of the shirt with the mandarin collar and will possibly alter the sleeve a bit to exclude the cuff. I am yet to dig through the stash of other patterns to find something that will suit the vest.

Now, if I were to use the sleepover pajama pants pattern for the harem pants, should I curve the inner leg seams to get the full pant look or just take the line straight down to the ankle? Do I need to do anything to the crotch at all?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am going to measure this young man today and hopefully will be able to start working on his costume this weekend so that he can have it in time for the production excursion in a week or two.

Exit mobile version