Oliver + S

Skirt patterns suited to wool?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I am looking to make a couple of skirts for the winter for my daughter and I wanted to make at least one that was a heavier material- maybe a wool skirt? Has anyone made any of the skirts from something heavier? Which skirts would work for this? I just bought the music class and hopscotch patterns- do you think these skirts would work with something heavier?

I saw an older post where someone suggested wool garbadine- has anyone used this for any of the skirt patterns? (http://www.oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=357)

Thanks!

Rebecca

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am asking questions about heavier skirt fabric for winter too. Here is another recent post, and the in the last reply from Liesl she talks about lining fabric.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107
    LINK
    icicle @icicle

I did the 2+2 skirt in a bottom weight uncut corduroy (like a heavy velveteen) and it worked out nicely. And I should take a photo of it… 🙂

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I’m just now making the hopscotch skirt in corduroy. It’s looking pretty cute, but I wish I had left off the pockets. I’m afraid the cute “take out container” design is lost among the cord. I’m a little worried about making the buttonholes through all the thicknesses too. I also have plans for the music class skirt in a fine wale cord.

My only suggestion would be to make sure the fabric you use is not too stiff or heavy for the elastic casing. Good luck!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Thanks everyone! After looking at a couple of other things- including the post from kmac0107, I see that people have used suiting fabric for some skirts. And while I am not totally sure what that is like, I think that I am going to order some and give it whirl! I will have to do the lining that Liesl talks about as well!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If there’s a particular section that might get bearish if too thick, like a waistband or the placket [?] where the buttonholes go, would it be possible to do that bit in a different fabric? Or maybe steal a technique from a different pattern?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

One could always cut the waistband in half and have a pretty contrast on the inside, it would lessen the bulk and take ”itchy’s” away from tender skin.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I just finished the hopscotch skirt in cord. If I were to do one again I think I would do as Sarvi suggested and have the inside plackets in a light weight cotton to reduce bulk. My buttonholer does not like me apparently, and I gave up on making buttonholes on the front placket (after 3 failed attempts). The front skirt to placket seam was really causing me problems while buttonholing, too many fabric layers even after trimming. I don’t think I would had had a problem with a “smooth” fabric? Maybe I would have, it was late at night. So, I sewed the buttons on by hand through all the thicknesses and she can easily dress and undress because of the elactic in the back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.