Oliver + S

Sketchbook Shorts for Girls – Sizing?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I’m about to enter the dreaded/ugly world of uniform sewing. We have a pretty strict requirement….no sneaking in any cute linings, etc. Navy blue and white. The end.

For those of you who have made the sketchbook shorts for girls, did you use their regular size, or did you size down? They have to be mid-thigh length, but I know my kid will not go for shorts that are at all baggy.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I didn’t Janice, but my girls have very curvy derrières.
    I would make the size that corresponds to her hips and then taper the leg (inner and outseam)

LINK

Julia has that same derriere going on! So I will go by hip size – I have in my mind a picture of the way I’d like them to fit; we’ll see if I can make it work!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

When fitting jeans, I sew the crotch seam first and then fit the side seams. I was given the tip from a clothing designer, it works really well.
    I would wonder if the inseam may need a little pinched out.

They are great shorts. I made Hugo (17) five pairs with an added fly and he wore them until last summer and now the Twins (15) wear them. I just tightened the elastic waist.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Janice, I used the size that their measurements corresponded to. It worked out well!;)

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Sophie’s got 4 pairs in heavy rotation right now. She’s got a long rise so I added an inch to the back. I did shorten them by 3-4 inches, but went by hip size.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I would do a test pair for her to run around in in the summer — in a similar fabric with a generous side seam.
    It has been my unfortunate (?) experience that fresh air and summer eating make them sprout and mommy-made uniforms I had measured the kids for in the spring are just barely wearable by winter.
    That said, the Sketchbook shorts are cut a bit baggy,and I usually eliminate the pleat in the front for my twiggy-legged kids.
    (if you would like a bit of fun, make the pocket linings and the back of the waistband in a pretty flannel. My daughter loves that, she puts her hands in her pockets and snuggles.)

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

If you do decide to taper the legs, the one piece of quick advice I’d give you is to taper equally from the inseam and the outseam. You can narrow any pattern this way (or widen it, for that matter) if you keep that in mind. And yes, sew the rise and then pin the seams to adjust as needed.

xo

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Not sketchbook….but the back darts on the art museum work really well on my girl for school shorts and she’s got a round derrière. I also just add patch pockets.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Great fitting tips here — I made a size 5 for my kid and they were a bit baggy on her, she’s inherited dad’s aerodynamic lines, haha.

LINK

So I finally ordered the pattern – I got the smaller size that her measurements actually correspond to rather than being cheap and trying to alter a size 5 so I have the pattern until she gets to middle school! I’m going to make a version in some very lovely green and white seersucker (which I know she will hate!) for size and then go from there. Thanks for all the advice!

I just may try the art museum pattern also….

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’ll be looking forward to seeing those shorts, Janice. Really useful discussion about girl pants, ladies. Unfortunately, I have almost no scope for these with my “kids”; apart from babies – ie up to 3 yrs, Australian girls seem to have taken ‘the pledge’ re. shorts and trousers. Very frustrating.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

My daughter has been more accepting of the sketchbook shorts in drapier fabrics– linen, and cotton/tencel twill. They are really my favorite shorts pattern, practical and comfortable. If your girl is wanting some “pretty”, lace hem tape can help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.