Oliver + S

Sizing question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

So I measured Ms. 6.5. Her chest is 22.5 inches, which is a size 2. The length she needs is 27 inches. That’s about a size 7. Generally I am making size 7 dresses for her (eg- the hopscotch).

I can’t see cutting a size 2 width and a size 7 length!

Got advice? (other than make a muslin… I am lazy today and need a quick fix for finding my mojo!1)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Maybe make a size 5 with extra length? You can always cross tie the straps across the back like my friend did with the first one I made her daughter that was initially to big, she ended up wearing it for 3 years straight!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Why don’t you colour block and cut the 2 for the top and then make it wider, gradually, with a bit of trimming as you go?

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I decided on the 6 with 8 length. It is a bit big but she likes it except for one thing.

She is only in kinder mind you and she said sadly- but mommy what if a boy pulls the bow and they see my body.

Sigh. Feminist mommy says wear it and punch the lights out of anyone who touches your clothes and does that to you. Since it is her body and if she’s covered she shouldn’t have to edit because boys can’t keep their hands to themselves.

Realist mommy knows that school will tell me not to let her wear it. To avoid problems. Because it is easier to edit a little girl’s harmless clothing choices than it is to teach a male he doesn’t have the right to do that. Because it is more important to control girls than demand that boys control themselves.

So now that it is already made- any suggestions on how to convert cute ties/ bows to something that can’t be undone?

Sew the ties?

Complete a circle & sew bows on?

Whatcha think?? Other than punching boys!! 😉

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Channel the 90s and wear a t-shirt under it?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes sew the ties before you make the bow and then wear a t shirt under it if it one of those not recommended to be worn to school kind of dresses. That way you cover all bases.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Do a double knot in the bows, like shoelaces that keep coming undone.
    I’m with you on punching the boy 🙂
    Has something happened to make her think one of them might try and undo the ties?

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

oh dear, poor little girl that she has to worry about such stuff, so young. Tie double bows, and tell her that the boys are just jealous. Good luck, mummy. All my ‘littles’ wear t-shirts underneath the popover dresses – unless they are at home, and it’s stinking hot. Don’t know about the 90’s and tees; Aussies are always concerned about sunburn, and skin cancer. The popover is brilliant for this because generous enuf a fit to accommodate a t-shirt.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I’m in the tell school to deal with the boys behaviour, it makes me so cross that it is easier to say change clothes. But that’s a battle you can have even if you decide to alter the dress. Feminist intercontinental high five from over here!

How about making one long tube strap at either side,and threading it with elastic so it’s sewn on? You could sew the bows on the top too so the look is similar?

And on the plus, you’ve done sone sewing, sew jo is returning!

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I did a Popover dress using fold-over elastic in the past. It worked great. I measured the dress on my daughter and sewed the FOE into a circle and applied it folded over the armhole. In fact, I just finished up another Popover. Intended to use fold-over elastic again but couldn’t find it in my disaster of a sewing room. Literally, the minute that I finished sewing on the straps, my cat knocked over a pile of patterns, and I found my package of bright pink fold over elastic….

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I will have to look into foldover elastic. I’ve never seen or used it.

I was thinking of buying adjustable strap stuff so it lasts longer in terms of sizing. (Btw- the dress turned out stinkin cute- I’ll post on Flickr). I used a Lisette lawn and some yellow trim. Added jump rope pockets. A little ruffle. It’s a bad picture. But so cute. We were at the zoo and I heard someone say- what a cute little dress!

I do do Tees for cooler days, but heat is approaching. And we use lots of sunscreen. I’m on the Canadian border so our sun isn’t super strong.

Ms Sassy is a firecracker and the boys seem to like to set her off. She has one of two reactions: tears or punches. I don’t think anyone has “touched” her per se.

If something like that happened on the bus, my son would be telling me like asap. He’s also the big kid on the bus. He’d totally tell.

In class a teacher wouldn’t allow it. But I can see a boy doing something once and getting in trouble. I can see her worrying about it. Because of her sensory issues she’s hyper aware of touch of any kind. Even if it happens to someone else. She’d worry.

And punching is always an option in this kind of situation. Lol.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Here is a pic.

Too big. Oh well off to Flickr.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by cybele727.
    LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Well done, mum!! Will look out for the pic. Yes, the popover does run rather big but the lovely A line shape means that it doesn’t ‘show’ really.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Looks like the Popover Dress size chart lists garment measurements rather than body measurements. Looking at the body measurement chart for another pattern, 22.5″ puts you in a size 4 — so it sounds like your cute dress with the size 6 chest can accommodate any surprise growth spurts this summer and perhaps take you through winter as well, with a turtleneck underneath. I’ve seen some folks do that and it’s very sweet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.