Oliver + S

sizing for the fairy tale dress

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I am making this dress for my 8 year old daughter. Her sizing is all over. Since this is a more fitted bodice I am not sure where to start. Her sizing is

Chest 24 in (size 6)

Waist 21 in (size 5)

Hip 25 in (size 7)

Height 51 in (size 7)

Weight 50 lbs (size 6)

Any help would be appreciated.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I would start with the size 6, but make the length a size 7. Then quickly baste the bodice at the sides and shoulders and see if you want to take it in at the waist. The fit is a littel closer than some other patterns, but if you go buy the measurements, it’s reliable. If its a very special dress, you could make a muslin first to be sure you like how it looks on her. Fwiw, I have made this a lot, and almost always raise the waist.

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

Thanks for the reply. I made a muslin in size 6 with 7 length. The front looks great but the back is huge. Would it be best to take it in on the back side seams? I tried just widening the darts and that was a bad idea.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Maybe draft the back down to Size 5? Here’s a link to to the muslin Nicole made for her daughter. It may give you some ideas 🙂

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/i-hope-it-has-happy-ending.html

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

Thanks for the help. I tried the size 5 but it was too narrow in the upper chest. Right now I have the size 6 back with about 1/2 inches taken off the bottom of the side seam and 1/2 taken off the back center. One question, the back center is straight for 5 inches then curves in a “c” over about 6 in. ( going in from the original size 6 back 1/2 inches at the most). Will this affect the placement or installation of the zipper. ( I hope that’s not too confusing). I have not done a zipper before.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It sounds like your girl might have a sway back, which is when the lower back curves inward more deeply than average. I make this adjustment for myself all the time and I’ve made it for children too on occasion. Does fabric seem to puddle and wrinkle in her lower back? Or is it too roomy across her shoulder blades?

How you deal with this depends on the dress and the child and how perfect you want it to be. Fairy tale is meant to be a pretty well fitted dress and it isn’t too difficult to alter. Can you give me more detail about what the dress is for and what fabric you’re using? Also, would you snap a picture of her wearing it and post it to the flickr group? Front, side and back standing straight with arms at her sides. It’s easier to diagnose a picture.

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I uploaded some photos. I just used some scrap fabric for the muslin so it doesn’t match (I’m slightly embarrassed about that- I didn’t think this is something I would show anyone.) I think this link will get you to the first photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9705332@N07/12619649135/in/pool-oliverands

The dress does not have to be a perfect fit. This is for my daughter’s Easter dress. So I don’t want it to look too funky but I am still learning to sew so don’t expect it to be too perfect. I think my daughter isn’t really that hard to fit but I am not experienced enough to know what to do.

The material the dress will be made of will be lawn, a Liberty of London floral for the outside and some white basic lawn on the inside. She wants the dress to be sleeveless, collarless, and without the bow if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Scrap fabric for a muslin is perfectly fine! And if you’re using Liberty, it will absolutely be worth this effort. Liberty is my very favorite stuff, but it’s definitely special to use for a child’s dress. I made my little daughter a Liberty Christmas Fariy Tale Dress in 2012 and she wore it again this year and to church and parties besides, but that’s all I’ll get out of it.

OK, I’m off to flickr…

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I responded over in Flickr and I put up a very quick sketch too – I can’t actually draw, so I hope it’s even legible. It really isn’t a hard fix! I think it will be worthwhile doing it, especially if there’s no bow in the back to cover the puddles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.