Oliver + S

Sizing for field trip pants and other Oliver+S pants

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

I’m specifically looking at the field trip pants, sketchbook pants and sleepover pajamas. How does the sizing run on these pants, and is it consistent across all Oliver+S pants?

For comparison, last year I made my then-three-year old son the Sailboat pants in the 2T size, which I lengthened by 1″… and at age four, he is still wearing them as knee shorts! 🙂 For the two pants patterns I have made for him (Oliver+S and KwikSew), I’ve used a smaller size and lengthened them (I probably should have shortened the rise, too, but I let it go and they lasted longer). If I use the 4T size, he winds up with baggy legs and tons of gathered bulk at the waist.

I just want to make sure I buy the right size in these patterns. I think 4T is the cut-off for the smaller size range on all these patterns, and my son is four now and still skinny! For the price (worth every penny), I’d like to buy the size range that will last longer, but not if they’re going to be huge on him.

Thanks for any feedback!

Audrey

LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

FWIW, I also have a small skinny boy (4 yo) and was having the same dilemma. I chose to get the smaller size range because he fits the 3T sizing perfectly at the moment, and I suspect there will be a bit of lengthening and such with both the 3T sizing and the 4, before we get to the larger size range. I do intend to have the larger size range on hand for when he finally ‘graduates’ into the bigger sizes though 😉

I can’t speak to consistency of sizing across the patterns, but I would imagine they would be similar. I’m still working my way through them ….

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would love to save you money but I do agree.

The smaller size with length may be the best choice for you.

I did find the AfterSchool trousers a slimmer cut,so that may be a pattern you could ‘size up’ for.

~Nicole~

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would probably go the smaller size range (6m-4 for the newer patterns) and (6m-3T for the older patterns, sandbox). But measure him, I have just measured two slim four year olds and they fit into size 2T according to hip and waist measures, but size 4-5 in length!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I agree, these pants have a roomy fit for width and the length is standard. I think if you get the bigger size then they will be too big for a while. Look at the size chart and measure your son’s waist and hips. I did that and my daughter fit into the 6 for waist and hips and the 7 for length. I made the 6 width and the 7 length and the pants fit her well. They are roomy which is how they are meant to be. I am glad that I don’t have the dilemma about pattern size. I, too, would be very tempted to get the larger size. I think if you do, though, it will be too big. Have you every adjusted size of a pattern? I have done that successfully- I have sized up several patterns. I just looked at the difference in that pattern between sizes and then adjusted the cutting lines. A lot of pieces the difference in one size is 1/4 inch so I added 1/4 inch (or 1/2 inch if I was going up 2 sizes from a 5 to a 7) to the outside of the cutting line. This is a great pattern. I love it and will make it again.

LINK

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it’s really helpful. I downloaded the Field Trip digital pattern in the smaller size (6m-4) and had it printed at Staples… call me a geek but it was so exciting to see that pristine pattern sheet (no folds!) roll off the printer! I whipped out the raglan tee today Star Trek style, my little boy requested to be Mr. Scotty for a convention this weekend (because his favorite color is red). I did the 4T size and it’s just about perfect, might last through the winter before he gets taller and longer in the arms.

I haven’t had a chance to fiddle with the pants but that’ll be next. 🙂 I think most of the pants patterns out there seem to have really wide legs that swallow my kid up, so I like the idea of adding length to a smaller size for a straighter leg. Jennifer, I haven’t ever tried to scale up a pattern, just made lots of fitting adjustments. It’s not my favorite part of sewing, so I buy as close to size as I can get and then adjust.

LINK
    npultorak @npultorak

I’m glad to hear that the field trip pants run big, I was afraid I’d need to shorten them. I’m not sure how to do this because there aren’t directions in the pattern.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The Field Trip Pants are roomy enough to allow for plenty of movement, so you probably can go with the smaller size if you’re on the fence. And if you need help lengthening or shortening, here is a tutorial that will give you some guidelines:

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

LINK

Thanks, Liesl! Is the sizing pretty consistent across all Oliver+S pants? I’m thinking of the sandbox pants, sketchbook shorts, and sleepover pajamas.

The links looks pretty much how I usually lengthen/shorten. Question: if I want to lengthen the shorts into pants, do I use the hem of the shorts as the long pants hem? In my head, I’m thinking that the circumference of a pants leg at the ankle is smaller (?) than a pair of shorts.

LINK

Catching up on my forums… For the record, I’ve now completed the sleepover pajama pants twice. After measuring both my son and his best-fitting pair of pants, I used: the size 2 rise, the size 3 width, and the size 4 length + 2 inches. LOL!! but they are a perfect fit with just a bit of growing room. He needs long pants so I’ve made lengthened patterns of the Sailboat pants (using the straight size 3) and Sketchbook shorts (I think on the size 3), which are waiting to be sewn. I may also use the pj pattern for regular pants since it fits so well! Thanks again.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think that *sizing* is pretty consistent, but what varies is fit, cut, or style (not sure of the proper terms) — I’m thinking of the difference between ‘boyfriend’ jeans and ‘matchstick’ jeans — I may be a size 8 in both, but one will be baggy and loose while the other is skin tight. I have not made the After School but Nicole’s assessment seems to be the consensus, it’s a bit slimmer-fitting by design, where as a cargo pant like the Field Trip would be a more relaxed fit. I’m pretty confident that I know my kid’s O+S size (3T width with a bit extra length should take her through summer, barring a big growth spurt).

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

And … after a sip of coffee to improve my reading comprehension and looking at the dates of the posts, please ignore my redundant reply, you’ve already got it figured out, haha!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.