Oliver + S

Sizing for a petite child

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Julie Vician @juviboston

Making this dress for an 8 year old whose chest measurement is just 22 1/2 inches. How much ease is there in the pattern. I thought I would make the size 6 and reduce the pattern at the side seams and center back. Any advice on sizing would be appreciated!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Julie @juviboston

If this young lady measures just 22 1/2″ around the chest, I would be inclined to make a size 4 and use the length of an 8 if she is within the height measurements specified for this size. It would make it far too big to make a size 6 as the amount of ease is 2 inches and it is ample.

I would measure her height to find out where she would be in the sizing for this and trace my pattern to a 4 bodice and width and to the size compatible with her height.

It’s a lovely dress. I have made this dress in a size 12, 6-12month and 12-18 months and each time it has fit beautifully on my girls.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

LINK
    Greenpip @Greenpip

@juviboston I’ve just measured my petite 8 yr old and she’s just 22inches. She’s in a 6 lengthened to a 7 at the moment and it fits very nicely.
    The problem with going any smaller is you need to lengthen all the pattern pieces, not just at the skirt piece, or you would lose all the lovely proportions of this dress.

LINK
    Susan Boston @snbvt

I am about to make my first Oliver and S dress for my granddaughter and I don’t know what size I should select. Measurements correspond with both size 4 and size 5. Her chest is 22 1/2, her waist is 23 and her hips are 22. She is 40 inches tall and weighs 38 1/2. She’s nearly 4 and she wears mostly size 5 in RTW. She probably won’t be wearing the dresses for a couple months because it’s still winter here in Vermont. Any sizing suggestions? Thanks!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I generally suggest starting with the chest measurement, but don’t drop more than two sized below the child’s age or the sleeves and armholes might be too small. We’ve allowed approximately 2″ of ease in the pattern, so if she’s measuring between sizes you might be safe to go down instead of up. And of course I always suggest making a muslin!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.