Site icon Oliver + S

Singletons vs. siblings

I have a 20m daughter, and right now we're living with my mother-in-law while I'm finishing my last few terms at university. I'm a returning student, and wanted to wait until I'd graduated, but I'm already 39 now and it seemed unwise, for health reasons, to push it too much longer. The question now is whether to have a second child. The whole process of thinking this through is very different at my age than it would be if I were even five years younger -- I know one rises to the occasion, but I definitely don't have the same physical resources now that I did when I was younger.

I would love to hear from parents of both singles and multiples about what the best things are that you've experienced. I was a singleton, effectively (my siblings are 13+ years younger and we never lived together) and my husband is very close to his younger sister, so each of us finds it hard to understand the other experience from the inside. I guess that's what I'm looking for -- those little things that might not be as obvious to somebody who hasn't experienced it.

Many thanks for anything you can share!

Exit mobile version