Oliver + S

side zip vs back zip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I really like this dress and I’m thinking of another, more everyday version. I found a Theory wool/silk blend in a heathered charcoal gray. Super soft and nice for a winter dress with tights and boots.

The side zip does give a nice smooth finish, however I really have to twist and shimmy to get it on and especially off. Maybe it’s because I have broad shoulders? Possibly I also over-fit it a little? I did narrow the sleeves a tad just for that party version, and I made a sway back adjustment and I have to take in the ribcage a little to make it lay right. I’m thinking I should go ahead and mover the zip to the back. Does anyone else have trouble getting out of a side zipped dress?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I haven’t made anything for myself with a side zip but have had dresses with in the side. I found they were easier to get into if it wasn’t too fitted at the side but them my bodyshape is completely different.

I do love the design of this dress and I believe you could insert the zipper in the back without it altering the entire look. Using an invisible zipper would be my preference for this.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I had this conversation with my mother, I wanted her to remove a zipper from the side and put it in the back so my dress was easier to get on.
    This resulted in a lecture on bad underwear and no patience. She refused to do it, said it would spoil the dress line and to give myself more time getting dressed.

If you watch some older movies, they often had side zips in their clothing and they do look more elegant.
    But, yes, I do have to wiggle a bit to get into a side zipper dress but if it looked fab and was comfortable once on, I would leave it be.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So there’s a relationship between the correct underwear and a side zip? Hilarious.

I have other side zipped dresses, but they are either V or wrap neck and mostly short sleeved. I think it’s the high neckline, plus long sleeves, plus my broad shoulders that leaves so little room. For a casual dress, I might go ahead and switch it. One day while fitting the lace version, hubby was at work and I had to have my son help me get it off!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@meleliza, yes, she said I needed a girdle?!?!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Lol!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.