Oliver + S

Shortening from the waist?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    ljmonchik @ljmonchik

Making sandbox pants and the waist is too long, or rather the crotch- not sure of the term. Anyway, if I turn over the waist (now that they are sewn) they fit fine. So, how do I shorten the pattern to fit properly? Does this make sense?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

What size did you make? If it’s a larger size, you should just be able to shorten at the top–trim 1″ (for example) off the top edge before sewing the waistband on. If it’s a smaller size, watch for the curve of the rise, since you don’t want to start cutting into it. If you’re starting to get into the curve on the smaller sizes, you may need to draw a line perpendicular to the grain line, halfway down the rise, and shorten there. Then you would blend the curves. You can refer to the lengthening/shortening tutorial if you need a refresher on this:

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

I hope that helps!

LINK
    ljmonchik @ljmonchik

Liesl- you rock! I’m making the 2t for my daughter- I’ll post how it goes! Thank you

LINK
    Jill @jilljanssen

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same issue with the lisette pajama pants. The rise is too long but if I roll the top they are perfect. I would shorten like you instructed, but the pattern has a back yoke and pockets which I believe will be impacted if I just shorten it from the waistband. Any help would be great! Thanks.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Jill,can you shorten it half way down the straight part of the crotch? Then you will loose the length but not interfere with the pockets or back yoke.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.