Oliver + S

shorten pant length

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    yellow_blue @yellow_blue

Hello, all sewers out there. I have a problem with the length of the pants. Everything on the top (hips and waist) is fine but they are too long. I have already done the sewing (i.e the sides etc, but they are not finished at the bottom or the top where I put the elastic). So all the pjs have now is the pant shape with too long legs. Is there anyway to shorten them now? can I cut off the bottom fabric in a straight line? do I measure this from the crotch. I know this is a bit of a disaster; I should have been more careful with the paper pattern. But alas. I’ll do that next time. What should I do now??? please help. It looks like I need to reduce by about 1.5″

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you don’t want to roll the legs up in case of growth spurts you can cut that length of the bottom. Just remember to check that your leg band will still fit,you may need a narrower seam allowance or need to cut a new leg band.

LINK
    yellow_blue @yellow_blue

Hi Motherof5, Thanks for your quick response. Because of the fabric I am using rolling up the legs (as you suggest) is making it too bulky. Its also just a bit too long. So I’ll have cut a new leg band as well. but should I just cut it pretty much straight–i.e measure 1.5″ from the bottom and cut at that line, or should I curve it a bit? i guess that was my question, but I think I wasn’t very clear in my message. Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sorry!

I just reread your question!

I would measure from the hem up, and cut. That should be fine.

If you mark it in 1/2 ” increments and then join the lines any curve should repeat it self. Does that make sense?

x Nicole

LINK
    yellow_blue @yellow_blue

Ok. Thanks very much Nicole! I hadn’t thought of doing the 1/2″ increments and that makes perfect sense.

Asmita

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.