Site icon Oliver + S

Sewing room organization

So we recently got word that in all likelihood, we will be moving home to the U.S. next year. This means moving back into our house, which was more than adequate when we were a family of three. We are now a family of five, and while we will fit, it is going to be a challenge after living in our current, larger house. My sewing space in particular will need to be significantly compressed.

As I consider aspects of this (like the need to just throw away small scraps instead of keeping them - they currently occupy a 70-liter tote with overflow), I realized that I have yet to develop a neat and efficient system for my sewing patterns. For the patterns that have a lot of pieces, I have a tendency not to be able to fit them back into their envelopes, so I fold them up as best I can and put them into a gallon Ziploc bag. Others go back into their envelopes. I have a couple cardboard magazine holders I keep them in right now, but that does not allow for easy rifling through.

What do you do? And how is your space organized, in general? If you do not have space for all your fabric by your machines, where do you keep it?

I know we've shown off our craft spaces before but I figured this would be a good opportunity to do so again. Bonus points for photos!

Exit mobile version