Oliver + S

Sewing books that make your heart race…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Is it possible be in love with a book? A secondhand copy of Claire Schaeffer’s Fabric Sewing Guide just popped through my letterbox and I can’t believe how brilliant it is! I only paid £5.97 with free postage and 25% discount on top of that, from World Books (UK ladies- this company have so many cheap, secondhand books you wouldn’t believe.) I also found some great elusive cookery books I’ve wanted for a while, for example,Sri Owen’s rice book and one by Alice Waters. I also ordered the Gail Brown/Patti Palmer serging book. Sorry,
    I have to go now and snuggle up on settee with my new (old) book. What books excite you??

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by Linda.
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, if you like that book you’ll also like Claire Shaeffer’s Couture Sewing. And pretty much any of her books. I also like the books bike David Coffin: shirtmaking, trousers, etc. All very good resources.

But why stop at books? You can buy a CD with all the back issues of Threads magazine for about $65. Now there’s a treasure trove for you:

http://smile.amazon.com/Threads-2014-Magazine-Archive-Editors/dp/1627109455/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421775519&sr=8-1&keywords=threads+magazine+archive

(I hope that link works for you?)

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

@Linda – that Gail Brown/Patti Palmer serger book has been my absolute lifesaver from when I got my serger probably like 20 years ago. Great book!

I’m in love with books from estate sales – I love getting a book that was once loved/used by someone – I like to imagine that they would get pleasure from another generation reading their sewing book. I currently have on my sewing table “Sewing Made Easy” – the newly revised edition from 1960. It’s full of so many tailoring ideas, uses for decorative stitches, and guide to how to build a wardrobe. If nothing else, I just love sitting down with a cup of tea and reading it….

LINK
    Robin @Robin

If I see any sewing book my heart starts to race, and then often times its crushed by poor diagrams, lousy instructions and way too many errors. I do love looking at the A-Z books from Country Bumpkin. Their Inspirations magazine is often amazing too.

For pure, makes my heart happy books, Hillary Lang’s “Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love” and Liesl’s “Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children” are right up there.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks for the suggestions Liesl. I will have a look at the David Coffin books etc.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I am excited (again!) and can’t wait for the Gail Brown book- glad you think it’s good. I do look up info online but my favourite is reading a book. I recently bought an secondhand edition of Singer Timesaving Sewing book without expecting a lot from it. Was I wrong! It’s a great book, only slim but packed full of tips. Like you, I adore shopping secondhand, it’s so cheap and you never know what you will find!

And I have no qualms if it’s a bit dog eared, I love that someone else may have used it and had fun.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t bought Liesl’s book yet, but it is on my wish list. I have read so much positive feedback from people on this forum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.