Oliver + S

Seriously secure buttons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I made my daughter a sailboat top, and thought I had just about nailed those buttons down. I sewed them on by machine, using double the number of stitches the guide calls for, then went back over that and sewed them down by hand, because my kid is a chewer. It seemed she had barely dragged them over her lips before I was pulling a perfectly chokeable button out of her mouth, to great protest. Should I just go for snaps till she outgrows her unnatural appetite for plastic? I was using regular cotton thread. Would synthetic be stronger?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh Sarvi, how frightening for you !

I have never had a button chewed off , ( but that may be more good luck than management )! I do use a synthetic thread, but if Little Missy is determined she may chew through that !

If you go with snaps , attach them on firmly, I have more trouble with them ( falling off )

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Sarvi you can buy waxed thread that is extremely strong, there is often a limited colour choice though.

I’m a big fan of snaps (esp for my one year old who is the wriggliest little boy – the quicker it takes to get him dressed the better). They have a time and place though. i just finished off a jump rope tonight and the lazy side of me really wanted to use snaps, but i felt that the dress really needed buttons.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Yikes, Sarvi! How terrible! I have never had problems with my girl chewing on her clothes and honestly am a little impressed that your daughter can even get her mouth over to the buttons to chew them off! She must be very determined!

I have used snaps on pinafore style reversible dresses, but not for my daughter so I can’t say how they really hold up to chewers. I haven’t heard of problems from the recipients though. I can say that they are tricky and getting them on even and tight is a bit of work. (But maybe I just don’t have the best snap press) Good luck!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yeah, gave me a good scare. Would waxed thread be like bookbinder’s thread? I’ll have a look and see what I can turn up, and try using synthetic thread in the meantime. I don’t have a snap press, but there’s a shop nearby where you can use their studio for a fee, and it’s what my garage looks like in my dreams. Every imaginable tool.

LINK
    losabia @losabia

Yikes! Try hand quilting thread. Many types are glazed or waxed for extra strength. It is available in many different colors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.