Oliver + S

Seersucker help please!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    joslyn @joslyn

Please help. I have made a beautiful pinwheel tunic and dress in matching pink ( tunic) and blue ( dress) seersucker fabric. I had never worked with this before, and I seem to have ironed out some of the “waffley” bits. I tried washing it but those parts haven’t come back. Is there a way to save it, or do I need to press it all flat?

Thanks

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Have you tried spritzing it with a spray bottle and letting it air dry? Like using a little steam to get shirring to puff up?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I used to have one of those wrinkled broomstick skirts. I remember the washing instructions said to twist it into a knot when it was wet and keep it like that until it was dried. I don’t know if that would work for seersucker or not, can’t hurt to try.

Jane

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it has stayed flat I would wonder if there was a slight poly content and the hot iron has melted that (like chemically straightening hair,broken the bonds and reformed) and as it has cooled the fabric has straightened.

If it doesn’t pop up when spritzed with water it may stay that way.

If it is only in patches,it may still look fine.

Sorry not to be more help.

I love seer sucker too.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

The dress sounds lovely! If you cut the seersucker on a bias (like parts of the flounce will be, since it’s curved) the weight of the fabric itself may fight against the crinkly finish. It might help to wet the “undone” bits with warm water and let them air dry on a towel… try it on some scrap seersucker. If it works, then I guess you have to make a note that the dress itself should only be airdried flat and not hung or put in the dryer. hth!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.