Oliver + S

School days coat hood

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sasha @sasha

I am going to make my daughter a school days coat out of wool/cashmere. She is a size 5 with 6 length. I made a muslin to check the sizing and I am concerned that the hood is a little small. She has a large head! If I go up and make a 6 I’m afraid the coat will look really loose through her chest and shoulders. Any advice on what to do????

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Can you make the hood the length of the 6 and the width of the 5? I thought the hood was large. I made the coat 3 times last year for my daughter, canvas-size 6, lighter weight wool flannel-size 7, and heavier coating wool size 7. When I got used to the larger fit, I liked it better than the size that fit her. I roll up the sleeves so that the lining shows. It was so warm last year she only wore the heavy weight wool a couple of times.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66494254@N06/6349896841/in/photostream Here is the canvas size 6 with the hood up, when she wore a size 6. I think you could definitely make the hood longer. Just add the same length to the middle of all 3 pattern pieces.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Here in Aus, the hood is pretty much just for decoration as it never gets that cold, so I’ve not thought much about the sizing. As Jennifer said adding length would work and from memory there are a few notches along the hood pieces where you could add length, follow the curve, and end up with it all joining up OK.

It is an open style hood though, so maybe too big will end up with it flopping a bit around the front…

Kudos to you for experimenting with muslin first. I’m never that patient or thorough.

LINK
    sasha @sasha

Thank you for your ideas. I will try to add just a little bit of length. She has a big head 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.