Oliver + S

Sandbox Pants Without Drawstring – Help??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I am making a couple pair of sandbox pants for my little guy and I’d like to leave off the drawstring. It love the way it looks, but I’m sure he’ll fiddle with it and it will be forever untied. He is also newly potty trained so I don’t want to double knot it if he’ll have trouble pulling his pants on and off by himself. I really like a flat front instead of using elastic all around as shown here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebigtradeoff/2947889467/ However, I’m wondering if the waist would be way too big that way. Maybe I could just put in the drawstring, figure where it needs to be tied, and then tack the knot with stitches so that he can’t untie it? Maybe the elastic would be enough so he can pull them on and off. Any ideas/suggestions??

LINK
    Adaircam @Adaircam

These pants are very easy to adapt. Even thought the drawstring is attached to the back elastic, the elastic is stitched to the waistband at the side seam. It is the elastic that makes the pants fit the waist, no so much the drawstring. I’ve made more of these pants without the drawstring, even I really like it, than with. You will just need to eliminate the buttonholes for the drawstring that are in the front and leave an opening in the waistband at both side seams so the elastic can be inserted and then stitched after the elastic is the correct length for the waist.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

LINK
    Anonymous @

Thanks, Sarah – I will try it that way. : )

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I did a pair of these for Eleanor and used buttonhole elastic and eliminated the drawstring at the front. They turned out really well, and it’s nice to have the added flexibility in the fit that the buttonhole elastic provides.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.