Oliver + S

Raincoat?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Anyone sewn a raincoat? My 19yo daughter put it on her Christmas wish list and I am tempted. I know she would get a lot of use out of it with our summer rain and hiking between classes at uni. So any tips or things I should know?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There have been some really lovely raincoats made, I know @beachmom made a very professional one, as did @katybellabug.

I made one, for my son, using oilskin/dryzabone fabric. I couldn’t iron the seams so I used a tongue depresser and a bit of brute strength to ‘press’ the seams open.

Someone, recently commented that they wished they put a draw string in the hood for a snug fit.

I think quality hardware and lots of topstitching adds to the look too.

Just a few quick ideas….

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

Thanks Nicole!

I did put a drawstring in my hood, and am so thankful. I can walk into the wind and rain and that hood doesn’t budge! I can cinch the drawstring in with a toggle and it holds it nice and tight.

I wish I had put an internal pocket in mine as I am always a bit worried about my phone getting wet.

I agree about the topstitching and good hardware, it makes the coat look more professional.

Fabric can be pricey, but I did spot on someone’s blog that they had used a new shower curtain and cut it up!

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Thanks ladies. Katybellabug do you hace a pattern you particularly like for making a raincoat? Nicole I think I remember seeing that coat, did you blog it? (one night some of the kids and I read a heap of your posts accompanied by lots of appreciative comments!). Does the top stitching effect its waterproofness. Or did you use something else to seal the seams as well. I am thinking of using the Amy Butler pattern unless anyone has a better idea. And I did think of using some black builders plastic for a muslin cause we have some and it is stable.

PS. How do you make those linky things in people’s names.

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

Well I wouldn’t use the pattern I did! I managed it but it was a chore. Here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64920483@N03/15280869470/

I would like to see how the Amy Butler one works out, the style is lovely.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I didn’t seal the seams in the raincoats I made and there was plenty of topstitching. I didn’t have any issues with water seeping in. Granted the raincoats are not worn for long out in the rain. Usually just to/from the bus stop.;)

Here’s a good post with some helpful links: http://sewnbyangela.blogspot.com/2012/03/minoru-done.html?m=1

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Thank you for all your tips. We have decided on the Amy Butler pattern and have ordered the fabric. Now the big wait until it all gets here.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Kerrilyn, that was before I was blogging, but thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.