Oliver + S

problem with reversible bucket hat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    jessiemtoth @jessiemtoth

Did anyone else have an issue with the reversible bucket hat pattern? The crown piece does not fit the band and the band does not fit the brim. I have double and triple checked my cutting and pattern pieces and they are all correct. I am about to return the book because I am fed up with trying to get this hat to come out with out puckers and folds.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

My only advice is to keep clipping into the seam allowances- I had to clip almost every 1/4-1/2″ to make things meet up the way they are supposed to.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I’m so sorry you’re having such difficulties with the hat! I agree with Johanna, clip and then clip some more. The other advice I have after making the hat is to invest in a walking foot if you don’t already have one. They are worth every penny. That made all the difference when making the hat. It keeps the brim from stretching out while you’re trying to attach the crown since the brim is on the bias at times. Also, pin, pin and pin some more and go slow. Good luck and I understand your frustrations!

Rebecca

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Like Rebecca and Johanna said, lots of pins and clipping! The hat is super cute and well worth the time spent manipulating it. Take your time and it’ll turn out fine. Jessica at A Little Gray took pictures of the construction for her sewalong: http://alittlegray.blogspot.com/2011/08/lttsa-bucket-hats-part-2.html Maybe that will help you?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hang in there Jessiemtoth. What size are you doing? I’ve made the smallest and the largest and with a bit of patience they worked out lovely.

The ladies have given some great advice. I urge you to keep persevering – you won’t regret it once you’re done.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Here’s a little trick that might help: Run a basting stitch just a little inside where the stitching line will be–in this case, a little smaller than 1/2″–and use that as a clipping guide for the pieces that need to be clipped. That way you’ll know how much you can cut into the fabric before you start pinning. If you clip every 1/2″ or so you’ll release the seam allowances and allow the stitching lines to match up.

They will fit together, it just takes some patience and perseverance to get there. Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.