Site icon Oliver + S

printing the new Liesl + co patterns – so frustrating!

OK, I apologize for my short temper but I've already lost an hour of my very short morning on this and this is why I *hate* PDF patterns. Anything digital is about 5x the time and effort of just using paper. And it causes about 1000x the frustration. I can order a paper pattern in a matter of minutes and be back to my busy day. Still, this is like the cutest skirt in history, so I'm going to take a breath and perservere.

I thought I remembered a blog post about printing these things, but I can't find it.

I'm at the Staples Copy and Print website and figured out that what I want is an "engineering print." It's 36x48, black and white and about $7 per page. For a minute, I thought I was very clever having finally found an easy way to get that large sheet. However, the PDF for the pattern is 33 pages. I can't save just page 33, so Staples will only upload all 33 pages and it won't let me edit the file either. Also, it doesn't read that large scale page 33 correctly.

Staples is a national chain and I would imagine pretty accessible to most people, so it would be nice if we could print there. Now I live in the middle of a major city, so we have plenty of print shops. But I don't have time to trapse all over the business district with my kid in tow trying to figure out which place will do this for me. I also don't know how to take the file to these people. Flash drive? Do they even do that? I guess that's figurative. I realize I could call places, but that takes an awful lot of time too. And it would probably cost me an entire morning to go and do it. I've only got like one free morning a week. I would very much like to have this on one easy to use sheet rather than all those annyoing taped together pieces. But how on earth does one acquire these large scale prints?

So now my morning is almost gone and I didn't get done the work I really needed to do. I'm sorry for the vent but I just don't understand why these PDF patterns are a good idea. How does everyone else cope with digital stress?

Exit mobile version