Oliver + S

Printing Digital Patterns

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Jo Ann @fordjoann

I usually buy the digital patterns and print them at home but would like to have them printed as on the last page of patterns. Has anyone done this and if so where? My local office supply store has a blueprint printer capable of 36″ wide but they couldn’t figure out how to print it to size and said it was too long for 1 sheet.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

It’s my understanding that 36″ wide paper comes on a roll. Should be able to print to whatever length you want.

Search for a print shop that will do blue prints. They’re not hard to find.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Some of my patterns have been printed in two sheets, not sure about the reasoning- mostly the larger size ranges or adult patterns. I second looking for a local print shop, mine knew exactly what I needed and was better priced than the office supply chains.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Even though they print from rolls, many 36″-wide printers are only able to print pieces up to a certain maximum length. I forget the exact length now (I always need to look it up when we have a long pattern), but it’s around 80-90 inches or so. If a pattern ends up being longer than this, we have to split it onto two sheets so it comes in under that limit.

LINK
    marycds @marycds

I have had them printed at Staples. They seem to have 2 sizes of large format printers. It can be expensive and really adds to the cost of the pattern. I now prefer to print them at home. This way I can print them as many times as needed for different sizes. I cut them out in the evening as I watch TV. I think Oliver + S are the easiest to put together. Taping them together goes much quicker than tracing.
    M

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve found it to be really inexpensive and convenient. I print at my local shop that does blueprints. I think I’ve told this story before but at Staples I have either no problems or lots of problems, depending on which clerk is there that day. Luck of the draw. At blueprint shop they know what they’re doing, I email the file and by the time I get there it’s ready to pick up. I think my cheapest print was the layette, about $3? And most expensive was about $7. However I treat it as a sturdier, easier to store paper pattern, at that point. It’s really a question of your own situation, how fast you want it, what’s available in your city, etc. Though since you have your own national chain of craft shops I’d imagine you can get a good deal!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I am in a different, smaller town than Sarvi and mine at a local place is roughly the same price, the most I ever paid was $7 and that was for a two sheeter. It should be priced by the square inch, I think, or at least that’s how the two here do it.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Every Staples apparently sets their own prices. Ours is really expensive, but I’ve found a blueprint place that’s really inexpensive, much more friendly, and always does a great job. You’re right, Sarvi; they know what they’re doing and I’ve never had a problem there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.