Oliver + S

popover dress shoulder ties

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    rachel @rachel

It’s warming up here in Texas and I’d like to make a popover sundress for my daughter. I’m wondering – do you think the straps need to be cut on the bias… or could I get away with cutting them on the crossgrain? I don’t have enough fabric to cut them on the bias (maybe 1/4 yard) and I’d love to get by using what I have. Will it work? Or do you think they won’t lay right?

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

They’d won’t lay right. It will look so much nice if they were bias cut. Can you piece them so there wold be a seam near the underarm? Is there enough fabric to do that?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I agree you need them on the bias, but you could piece them. Google bias binding tutorials and there will be lots out there and I’m sure you could get them out of 1/4 yard if you don’t mind a few seams. good luck!

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

You could but the benefit of cutting them on the bias is that they bind the armholes so nicely, flat and smooth. I also like the way that the ties function when they’re cut on the bias.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’ve done it with fabric cut on the cross grain. It wasn’t easy to work with and the results weren’t as nice. Do you have some packaged bias tape laying around? If not, I’d piece some together. Liesl has a coupe of blog posts about how to do this.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made this yet but could you bind the arm holes and the add a ribbon tie?

LINK
    rachel @rachel

Thanks so much for the feedback! I took your advice and pieced the bias binding. I had more fabric than I originally thought (maybe 1/3-1/2 yard) so it came together in four strips – two per strap. I took your advice, dkbnyc, and placed the pieced seam in the underarm. Brilliant. I was very happy with the results! My daughter and I were out for some mama-daughter time this afternoon – an ice cream date – and she spilled chocolate ice cream on the dress before I had a chance to snap photos. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks so much. You ladies are the best! <3<3<3

LINK
    rachel @rachel

ps one more question related to bias binding. my understanding was that it’s okay to cut on the cross grain if what you are trying to bind is not curved. if i want to use binding on a hem, can i cut that on the crossgrain? i have in the past and it’s worked fine for me, but would there be any reason that cutting on the bias would be better? thanks in advance. 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Yes that’s correct Rachel, bias binding on the curves but bias, cross grain or lengthwise grain is fine on the straight. Bias binding has all the fibers running at 45deg to the main direction of sewing and wear, so basically it’s slightly stronger/less prone to wear than if cut on the cross/lengthwise grain, but it’s mainly used in garment sewing for it’s stretch or decorative properties.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, I did not know that about it being stronger and less prone to wear. I find that straight grain ties seem to become less ‘wavy’ but shrink more. I have not undertaken careful study of it, though, so there may be confounding factors. Has anybody else noticed that?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.