Site icon Oliver + S

Please help – sleeve frustrations!

Hi ladies! Please help me - I'm having the hardest time sewing in flat sleeves (specifically I'm working on 3 copies of the After-School shirt right now, so I've had 6 chances to try to get it right). I do my two rows of basting stitches and then try so very hard to fit and ease the sleeve in. But I end up creating a cap, so to speak, and when I try to serge (or even baste again by machine - or even hand baste the layers together!) it still ends up bunching up and shifting some and the finished seam ends up with the yoke piece a good cm longer than the sleeve. Am I just missing something totally obvious?

I saw a few tips online, and tried to instead make a single gathering/basting line at 1/2" from the sleeve's raw edge, but that didnt make any difference. Even when I try to focus more on making sure the underarm edges meet, I still get bunching. Please, oh experienced ones, enlighten me with your wisdom. I also wouldn't mind some of your sewing mojo to help me through this funk! Feeling frustrated :(

Thanks!

Melissa

Exit mobile version