Oliver + S

Please Help! How Much Do I Buy?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Darling Husband has offered to purchase me a box of City Weekend fabric for Christmas. ( From http://www.quilthome.com unlimited box to Australia for $40 ).

Of course I have not planned every potential outfit, and I would love some suggestions on a ”safe” yardage. I am wondering about 1 1/2 yards to 2 1/2 of favourite’s ?

I would love input from die hard sewers of O+S, I know I rarely need the fabric allowance on the envelope.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh Nicole! How wonderful! I can only offer suggestions for Little One’s size. I have yet to use a full yard to cut out the Hopscotch dress and I just cut a top from 1 half yard and a piece of another half yard (was accidentally cut wrong at the shop, otherwise would have been a full yard). I just made the Nature Walk pullover in quilting cottons and managed to get the ‘A’ pieces cut from a 1/2 yard scrap and didn’t even come close to using a yard for the ‘B’ pieces! (Size 2T in each of these)

Most items I make for the Niblet’s call for at least 1 yd (Jump Rope being the only exception, I think) and I never use it all.

My goodness how exciting to plan for this box of goodies!! Let us know what list you come up with!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

This so helpful Mel , exactly what I am after!

I am spoilt , I will be placing the order tonight…… and then no more material shopping!!!!!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

For the Bedtime Story P.J.’s I have those down to a science- 4T- Main fabric 1 and 7/8 for matching top and bottom, 1/8 yard for the trim for top and bottom. 5T 2 yards matching top and bottom, 1/8 yard for trim for top and bottom.

For the Tea Party, (4T or smaller) I can make the top out of two fat quarters, and the bottom from 2/3 yards.

Hopscotch Dress in 4T w/ long sleeves- 1 yard, with a lot left over on the sides. (Note of caution- I bought a knit from Michael Miller with 2 yards, and it shrunk with it’s first wash to 1 3/4 yards. I haven’t washed it again because I was so depressed. I don’t have any idea if the Moda knits will shrink that much.)

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh yes, good point. Nicole, I always wash my knits twice, so the numbers I gave are what I cut from – after the double washing.

Speaking of the MM knits, I do think the 2 different yards of it that I have shrank much more than the City Weekends. Of course, I didn’t buy more of the MM after it came with a “Warning: Will shrink up to 15%” label! sheesh!

LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

Not helpful at all, but I wanted to nod my head and agree about being able to save subtantial yardage with clever layouts on some of the patterns.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thankyou for the knit tips ! I always pre-wash cottons but did not realize how much the knit would shrink ( I am sure I read it somewhere, went ”oh yes” and moved on)

This is very helpful, I did not get time to place my order, I think I will have another look at my yardage.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We accounted for shrinkage of City Weekend (about 8%) in the yardage estimates for the Hopscotch and the Nature Walk. Just FYI.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

What a super thing to do ! Thankyou Liesl .

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh, thanks Liesl – was wondering about that! Have been meaning to post that exact question!

Nicole – I think 1.5 yds would prob be a ‘safe’ length to order – that’s been my magic number lately! I’ve got a notebook that I carry around with me where I’ve noted the diff yardage needed for the patterns in all my kids’ sizes! Gives me some help when buying!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have placed my order…. and then remembered I was suppose to let freyiris know…… I’m sorry Sharon, I hope you are all feeling a bit happier.

I purchased a few pieces at 1 yard , but most I went with 1 1/2 to 3 yards ,so exciting , I will post a photo when it comes!

Thanks Justine, was it good chocolate?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I just received an email stating my order has been packed and sent, so exciting!

It was so hard to choose, but I went with all the pink, red,turquoise& a few blues. I skipped the yellows as I have bolts of yellow drill and twenty odd yards of a white/yellow dotty cotton. ( Not that I did not love the yellows too)!

On Husbands suggestion, I bought a little charm pack to use to cover buttons or make loops and such!

Waiting, waiting……

LINK
    freyiris @freyiris

Nicole how exciting! Their shipping is always quick so hope to hear next weekend a big box of loveliness has arrived. I had an e-mail from an Australian retailer today saying that City Weekend quilt weight yardage had arrived – $22 a metre. I hate to think what the knit will be. I think the $40 shipping fee is money well spent.

Also thank you for thinking of us. We are all much happier this week though shocked to discover just how much we relied on the dog to dispose of our food scraps. The compost bin is overflowing this week in his absence.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

One of the online shops I use has city weekend listed at $22AU for 0.5 m!!!!!!! I keep thinking it must be a mistake! (I was expecting it to be around $24/m here!!!!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.