Oliver + S

Place shirt yolk & front patten pieces on a large print fabric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I made this top from a print with 3″ dogs with white space around the dogs. They are in random places so I though there wouldn’t be a problem. It knew that this print would take longer to place all of the pieces. I also knew that I would need more fabric than the pattern called for. I tried to lay out the pattern pieces so that the dogs did not get cut off on the shirt front that is directly under the yolk. When I was finished I had some half dogs dangling under the yolk. I also wanted certain dogs on the shoulders and I figured out that because the fabric was doubled when I cut it, the side I wanted on the outside ended up on the inside of the yolk. What is the correct way to place the yolk and shirt front pattern pieces so that the a large print does not get cut in half under the yolk?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Could you try cutting out the yoke (like the wooden thing that goes over the back of oxen’s necks to pull a plow, although “yolk” is kind of nice because it’s often the pretty & yummy part of a blouse!) first, and then fold back the seam allowance and set it on top of the fabric where you want it line up with rest of of the pattern? You could make a light little mark and place the edge of the pattern piece for the shirt front 1/2 in above that, so the seam would hit right where you wanted. Hopefully Nicole or April or one of the more experienced gals will be along with the proper technique.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

It may be easier to cut your pieces with the fabric width spread open, and not on the fold. When you trace off your pattern, flip pieces over that are cut on the fold, and then re-trace them in the mirror image, and then lay your full pieces out on your fabric. When you work with the yokes, make sure to cut one from the “wrong side” and one on the right side. This way you would be able to see the full design under your pattern pieces, and place them accordingly.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I do as Johanna suggests but I also find it helpful to cut my pattern piece as a whole rather the leave it on the fold.

I means I can move it around the fabric to get the most even placement.

If you find that you are muddling yokes up,cut the inside yokes from a plain fabric.

It does waste a lot of fabric but my daughter loved this dress http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4995233742/in/set-72157625264790776 so it is worth the fiddle factor.

~Nicole~

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.