Oliver + S

piping on vertical seams

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    rebekahricker @rebekahricker

I’m wanting to add piping on the vertical seams. I’ve never made the dress before, and I’m not getting a clear mental image of whether or not it will work with the pocket in front.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It could be done I should think. They way to find out would be to cut some other fabric in a similar weight and the pocket and try it out. If it works go onto your dress and if it doesn’t you don’t end up with a botched project AND you have a sample for future reference!

Hope this helps

Tamara

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

If you add piping on the vertical seams then the wearer will put her hands over the piping and then into the pockets. It’s a kangaroo pocket. You could eliminate the pocket. A lot of people put piping between the bodice (or is that top part called a yoke?) and the skirt.

LINK
    rebekahricker @rebekahricker

I’m pretty sure I was making it overly complicated in my head; I kept trying to figure out how to add the piping to the center front panel (so it would line the “top” of the pocket). It makes way more sense to add it to the “back” of the pocket. Thanks for both of your input!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made this a few times and I have tried to visualise the best placement.

I keep coming back to adding it the the centre front panel,it will be a fiddle,but I think it is quite do-able.

I would make my own piping,extra wide,so the seam allowances all match up.

Good luck!

~Nicole~

LINK
    pippi @pippi

As I am in the middle of this right now I am thinking you could pipe it. I think all you would have to do would be to add the piping to either your center front or side front pieces before you start the pocket, then the pocket would get piped first and then when you sew the front side seams the rest of the piping would get squeezed. It would definitely help matters to have wide enough piping (as motherof5 noted) to match the 1/2 inch seam allowances though! I wanted to pipe it but didn’t think it would be feasible with the pocket. I will have to try that next… hopefully soon!!!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I added the lace to the front centre panel (I think) so that the lace is on the pocket – it’s really hard to explain it and it was almost 2 years since I made it.

Picture here

Reference pic with hands in pocket

I’ll have a look at the dress when I come home and see if I can figure out how I did it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

lattemama, I love that dress, and the lace looks so great — and so does your adorable little one 🙂

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I was coming to link to latte’s pic! Still love that one! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.