Oliver + S

Penguin backpack fabric?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Claudiarj @Claudiarj

Hello,

The penguin backpack looks to be made of a herringbone (?) denim fabric (or maybe I’m seeing things.) Does anyone know of a source for a similar fabric? Or should I just use a dark blue denim?

Thanks in advance!

Claudia

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I believe the bag was made from tweed?

LINK
    freyiris @freyiris

I think I remember a post Liesl wrote ages ago where she said she quite liked reversing denim and having the back as the front because it was a visually more interesting. Possibly it was for a pair of puppet show shorts for S. Could the backpack be made out of the back of black denim?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m curious to know if anybody has made this from wool? I’m worried it might be a little too floppy. It’ll be worn over clothing so itchiness shouldn’t be a problem, right? I have a few pieces of such nice wool left over from other projects, none big enough to make a garment, so I was thinking I could patch them together for something like this and make some kind of funny animal.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Also, if I want to make the sides from a napped fabric like corduroy, should I make it in two pieces?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Third and hopefully last question — would making the back panel (outer fabric, part that touches the back of your shirt) in corduroy make it ‘grab’ your shirt?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Well, I answered my own questions, so in case anybody else decides to try similar fabrics:

a) yes, wool is too floppy – I added a layer of interfacing to the back of the main fabric, which helped, but it’s still very soft and unstructured-seeming

b) yes, if you use a napped or directional fabric and want it to all head toward the bottom, cut two pieces, each half the length of the side, + half an inch or however much you like your seam allowances to be

c) yes, the corduroy was sort of grabby, so I used wool instead

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Sorry noone answered you Sarvi!

I haven’t even looked at this pattern (yet) so I would have been no help… 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am sorry too,I have not made it yet and when I have a guess,I seem to get it wrong.

I can not wait to see your photos…..I am itching to make it!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It’s an awfully sweet pattern and would be a snap for you expert types. Everything is correct and fits together nicely, especially if you follow all the little tips. There’s a lot of room for adding fun touches, like things that button, snaps, or lace, for a smaller child to practice with, or extra pockets/elastic loops inside and out for favorite toys. It would also be great for some of those Japanese canvaslike fabrics that are too wild for regular clothes, too heavy for pyjamas, but still too fun to pass up.

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

Yes, thank you for doing the legwork for us on this one, Sarvi! It’s on my (ginormous) to-make list.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.