Oliver + S

Pattern storage? Ideas please!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

i have multiple tracings of some patterns because of sizes for two kids; I mostly have PDF printouts but some larger patterns that I am loathe to fold too small. I really like the portfolio sleeves that are 17×14, but they can get pricey so i have a few patterns in each one. I also like the zipper bags that are 13×15, but those are kind of floppy. Both are now in a flat cardboard box that was used to ship a picture frame a long time ago, but it’s a job and an half to haul out the pattern I’m looking for. (it does help that i have the instructions printed out in booklet style.) Patterns for me are rolled up and rubberbanded willy-nilly.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I inherited Robin’s, yes! And immediately switched over to her method. She keeps the tracings in one of those large paper envelopes that will hold 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper unfolded. One envelope per tracing size, with her notes on each envelope about whether she adds length, any errata. It’s a great system and I don’t execute it as well as she does — I usually write on mine in a scrawl and cram the tracing pieces in a bit brutally while frantically restoring the sewing space to what passes for order. I would bet that Robin is a tidy person generally (and thank you, Robin, you are awesome)!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

You’re hilarious Sarvi. But I love that you think I’m tidy. That’s almost as good as being tidy.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I keep the pattern envelopes in clear page protectors in a 3-ring binder. O+S have their own binder, of course. 😉 I store the instructions and original pattern sheets in a zip-loc bag along with any tracings. I use the very light weight “Swedish Tracing Paper” (neither Swedish nor paper), so I can fit quite a few sizes in a bag with not trouble. This is all children’s sizes, though. For digital patterns that I have printed out as a full size sheet, I roll them and store them vertically behind my sewing machine cabinet. For those that I print out at home and tape together, I fold them and keep them in a plastic accordion files that I picked up for $1 each. I keep the zip-loc bags vertically in baskets, in alphabetical order so I can find what I need. I’ll have to take some pics to share tomorrow.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Forgot to say – I have occasionally run out of space in a zip-loc bag (Jumprope – best patter ever). Then I just start a new bag and “file” it behind the first in the basket.

LINK
    Maggie @Magonomics

I bought at the container store and they have been great. I use three for the actual patterns, two for oliver + s (pictured) and one for others.

For the tracings, each time I do a new size/pattern I give it its own 4 by 6 envelope and label it (with my label maker) with pattern, size, and pattern company. These are stored in a forth box.

I also have a Google doc with each pattern, when it was released, if it’s still in print or PDF only, how many times I’ve made it, etc.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I’ll weigh in, even though I’m a relative newcomer around here. I have about a dozen Oliver + S patterns now. Some are digital downloads, and some are paper patterns that came through the mail. It has taken me a while to work out a tracing and storage system.

Digital downloads are the bulkiest. I print it all out on premium printer paper, then I tape the pattern sections together. I treat each of these like a paper pattern (see below).

When done with a pattern, I store everything in a labeled 9 by 12 manila envelope. The taped patterns fold up well when creased initially along the taped joints. I fold each pattern piece individually just enough to fit inside the envelope. My tracings are on interfacing or interfacing-like tracing material, so they fold easily and add very little bulk to the package.

So far, I only have traced one size, but if I traced multiple sizes, I would just fold each size into its own little bundle, still storing everything in the 9×12 envelope.

I like paper patterns best. When I open up the large pattern sheet, I iron it on low heat to make it smooth. Then I drape it over the ironing board positioned for each pattern piece I wish to trace. I lay the tracing material over the area and quickly cut a chunk that is the general shape of that pattern piece but at least an inch larger all around. I lay this over the pattern piece and when necessary use two tabs of tape to hold it in place. (The tape pulls away cleanly from both the pattern sheet and the tracing material.) Then I trace with a pencil or pen along the chosen lines. Later in my easy chair, I trim the traced pattern piece with scissors to the drawn line.

This works very well for me. I especially like using the ironing board when tracing because it saves my back!

LINK
    Maggie @Magonomics

For Original Patterns: I keep mine stored alphabetically by pattern company, then name of pattern (or what I call it), and finally by size in these boxes from the Container Store. I have two boxes just for oliver + s patterns and one for other pattern designers.

For My Tracings: I have similar sized envelopes and each pattern/size combo has it’s own envelope (library dress size 4 is separate envelop but next to library dress size 4). Each gets a label via my label maker (name of pattern | size | pattern company) and they are stored by name of pattern then size in a forth box.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.