Oliver + S

Pants Sizing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

My son is a size 7 in the waist and height, but he is a five in the hips. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to alter the pattern to adjust for his hips. Help!!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think this is one where it might be more useful to fit with a muslin than by making changes to a paper pattern first. I’d cut a straight 7 from muslin (or any cheapo fabric) then pinch the extra width at the hip to get the fit you like. Does that make sense?

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I have made the size four and lengthened them using Liesl’s instructions. I lengthened the front, back and upper side panel. That way I got the slim fit that I love about the pattern but the length he needs.

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

This is a somewhat slim pattern to my mind. If you don’t mind some ease in the hip, you might not need to adjust too much. The waist is elastic, so there is flexibility there too.

In your situation, I might make a size 6 with the length of a 7. You could certainly do a muslin, but I usually just jump in and make something wearable.

I finished my second pair of ASP today. Nicole has a great tutorial if you haven’t made them before.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

If it were me, sewing for my child, I don’t think I’d worry about the extra room in the hip area. But if you’re afraid that any bagginess would bother you, I would go with Maggie’s suggestion.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah! It didn’t occur to me that maybe kate was worrying about ‘doing it by the book’ rather than getting a particular fit. Yes, in that case, as brend5kids says, I think the hip measure is probably less important than the waist measurement.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

This is a slimmer fitting pattern. I think the pants are about the same width in the waist as in the hips when sewn up, so if you are to take the hips in too much they might not go on very well. I would make a test pair by the pattern first before I would alter any. I have only had to shorten pants for boy but have not had any issues with the waist or hip areas.

LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

Thanks for the tips, ladies! I am actually making this for a Halloween costume, so I do not want to invest too much time in getting it just right. But, at the same time, I do want them to fit. I will try it as is in a size seven based on the testimonies that it is a slim fitting pattern and let you all know how it turns out. Then, if it works, I can always make him some pants to wear everyday. Lord knows, he always needs more pants!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I don’t have an answer for you except to agree that it is a slim-fitting pattern. I’m just writing to say that you should know, Hokie, that there is a Cavalier on this board 😉

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Maggie!

I adore this pattern as it is a neater fit, but I agree, if you are worried, size up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.