Oliver + S

Outgrowing Patterns

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I’m so sad. My son P, who is 10 years old, has just about outgrown the Sandbox Pants pattern. I made a pair today with 1/4 inch seams and the pants are almost too snug.

🙁 That pattern has been my go-to pattern for pants for several years and I love everything about it. I’ll definitely try grading them up a bit but the end is definitely in sight.

What Oliver + S pattern(s) have your child(ren) outgrown that makes you sad?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

This is one pattern that my oldest son has out grown too. I have added a 1/2″ around the whole pattern to make them fit him. It works great for right now but I not sure how long it will work.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It would have to be the Puppet Show tunic and shorts.

My nearly 8 year old fits in them width wise but she has long skinny malinky legs and it just doesn’t look right any more(IMO)

S&H has grown out of all the patterns but at 14 1/2 thats not bad!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Devastation will be at its peak this year as my 9 year old daughter outgrows the size 12 of all the Oliver and s patterns. I’ve already had to add extra to some of them just to make them last that little bit longer. She is very tall for her age and unfortunately not the slenderest of children – she certainly isn’t fat but she is well proportioned to conform to her height.

My 6 year old son is now in a size 8 so enlarging the sandbox pattern will be on the to do list this year.

I can’t bear the thought of having to go hunting for other lovely age appropriate patterns when I am rather attached to these ones.

How do you comfort the soul when your child reaches the end of the size range?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Have another baby,Tamara!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh isn’t there any other way??? Watch this space – it’s on the list for this year along with investing in the smaller sized patterns.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Oh yes, another baby is always nice!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Another baby isn’t an option for me but I’ll definitely be saving the pattern. After all, eventually there’ll be grandbabies but it better not be for at least another 12 years!!

LINK
    sadies closet @sadies closet

I still have three kids who can wear the patterns for a few more years but my eldest (12) has finally outgrown them. I sized the sleepover pajamas to a 16 to fit him and will probably size up the sketchbook shorts (love them for boys!) but most of the boy patterns are gone for him now. 🙁 Also sad that my daughter outgrew the Teaparty dress before I got a chance to make it for her. Could probably lengthen it for her (she is 6 but would fit the size 4) but seems foolish to buy it when she has already outgrown it. I am very thankful, however, that all the patterns go up to a size 12 now. I would be sad if they still only went to size 8 or worse size 5!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My daughter was outgrowing the puppet show pattern, but I bought the larger size in digital format. I’m happy about that! I love love love those shorts. She will also be outgrowing the bubble dress, which I plan to make for Easter, and the tea party, which I plan to make for this summer. I’m guessing Tea Party is on the list for digital format? That would be nice, since the doll version is in the book. I bought the 2+2 the minute they announced it going out of print and the Sunday Brunch, so we’re good with those for a while, though I haven’t actually made them yet. I have a Citronille pattern she will be growing out of this spring too, so that’s higher on my list as is a baby sweater pattern. My entire spring wardrobe plans are based on things she’ll be growing out of.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

My great sadnesses are the Bubble, Teaparty, and Playdate dresses. My older daughter was on the tail end of these in size when they came out. I’m so glad I have one more to sew them for. It will be a sad, sad day when she has outgrown them, too.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Also related — has anybody got thoughts on outgrown tracings? So far I am keeping them in hopes that a sister or cousin will give me another little girl to sew for, but golly they take up a lot of space. Kind of painful to only get one or two garments out of a tracing before my little bean sprouts up another two inches.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m interested in what people do with all of their tracings too. My drawer with outgrown pattern tracings has reached its limit. It would be a shame to recycle all of that work.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I’ve stuck all my outgrown tracings in a box and have it stashed in the back of my closet. NOt sure what else to do with them…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.